Luke pulled one side of the curtains away and revealed a dark view of the waves. He unlocked the door and slid the it open, he pulled me outside into the cool morning air and left the door ajar.

I shuddered, remembering that I had no socks on, because the sand was cold to touch. I buried my toes in the sand and stood there, just watching the waves crash onto the shore.

Luke though, was already making his way towards the shoreline.

He stopped right before where the waves were slightly distant. He sat on the cool sand, cross-legged.

That was when I realized that Luke was only wearing sweatpants and a shirt. But when I contemplated that he'd shiver and get cold, he began to strip the shirt off and set it beside him.

I flinched at the sight. He barely shook in the cold air. Although I had a nice view of his back, I still worried about what bothered him.

I started to walk towards him and sat beside him. He took out his pack and lighter, pulling out a cigarette, lighting it and placing it between is lips.

He slipped the pack back into his pocket, but he started to fiddle with his lighter.

He would snap the lid on and off and play with the flicker, turning the flame on and off.

He seemed nervous, but I might think that he forgot that I was with him.

Luke took long drags of smokes and blew huge puffs of smoke away from my direction.

Luke was so absorbed in his lighter, that he flinched when I rested my head on his shoulder. But he then relaxed and wrapped his free hand around my waist.

"Are you okay?" Luke startled me with his question.

I removed my head from his shoulder and stared at him in confusion, "Me?"

"Yes you, was I talking to the ocean?" Luke chuckled, his random change in mood concerning me.

"I was going to ask you the same thing." I snapped.

"Why are you mad at me?" Luke's sudden happiness disappeared, he started biting his nails, a nervous habit I learned about him.

"I'm not mad," I sighed, "I'm just confused."

"Yeah, me too." Luke muttered, mostly to himself. He removed his hand from his mouth and began drawing random patterns on the sand with his fingers.

"Luke, is something bothering you?" I questioned.

"Would you rather hear the truth or the lie first?" He looked at me but continued to trace the sand.

"Lie?" I said in more of a questioning tone. I didn't want to hear the lie, but if he asked me which I'd rather hear, the truth was clearly that bad.

"Everything is great, my parents are happy, I'm happy. I couldn't even be more happier." Luke smiled widely, but it quickly changed into a frown. He took another long drag from his cigarette, and blew out the smoke in front of me.

"Luke," I coughed and waved my hand around in attempts to get rid of the smoke. "Luke," I repeated, "you need to tell me what's wrong."

"Everything is wrong. My parents, me, my relationships..." Luke trailed off. He dropped his lighter and it fell deep onto the sand. But I can finally make out what was written on it : The initials L + L, with a heart around it.

I felt my heart shatter, knowing that Luke loved someone before me. But it was a long time ago, right? Before we met... right? Luke plus someone else, who is that someone?