WHAT CAR?

Danny got to the trailer the next morning about 5:00 am, he walked all the way to the 14 and hitched a ride with a guy in the back of his pick up to the Vineland exit on the Golden State.  From there he walked most of the way up the hill to Sunland and got a ride with somebody who recognized him to the trailer.

            It had been a long cold night and he figured he was going to have a difficult time finding a place to bunk down in the little trailer, but as he walked up trying to shake some of the cold off his bones, he noticed there were still lights on, he figured they must have left them on for the little kid,  "maybe he's scared of the dark,"  he thought.

            He stepped up the little porch by the door and was getting his keys out of his pocket when Rob opened the door.

            "Where you been, man, we been waiting for you to call?"

            "I told Ron I would handle everything, no problem."

            "I expected you to call for a ride."

            "If you came and picked me up somewhere then you would know something and I don't want you to know something, you know what I mean?"

            "but."

            "But nothing, I'm a big boy."

            And Danny noticed Ron looking at him in an exploring kind of way, so he looked straight at him and opened his eyes wide.

            "No, I didn't do nothing, I thought about it though."

            "Hey man, I'm just worried that's all."

            Danny started to get pissed off and say something unkind, or unfeeling but he got a hold of himself, 

         "I know bro, I guess I can't really blame ya, but I can't help feeling a little uneasy, ya know."

            "I know man, I'll be tolerant, okay."

            "Where's the little one?"

            "He's bunked out in my room, me and Robby been having quite a conversation."

            "I hope it's good."

            "It is."

            "Well, boneroo."

            "Robby has some people he's supposed to look up in L.A. and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind driving him down tomorrow?"

            Danny was tired but his mind was working a mile a minute,

  "Yea, sure, that would be great, why can't you take him?"

            "Well, I already have some plans for tomorrow afternoon, that I would hate to break, and I know you want to talk to Robby about that other weird shit anyway, so I figured this would work out for everybody."

            "Works for me."

            Robby said, "Cool, how bout 9:30 or so."

            "Shit, man, it's 5:30 now."

            "Okay, how about 10:00."