TOWNEY

Preacher sent for the reporter that was sent in to cover the show and told the men that were responsible for his care to leave him.

            Preacher sat behind the big mahogany desk and looked at him smiling.  "How are my men treating you, Mr. Towney?"

            "Fine Mr. Childs."

            "I take it you are eating well?"

            "Yes the food is fine, thank you."

            "Do you know why you're still alive?"

            "Yes."

            "And why is that?"

            "I'm a hostage, you need me as a bargaining chip."

            "That's very good, now, do you know why I have summoned you here?"

            "No, I don't."

            "Well," he leaned back in his chair "I'm going to make you a deal."

            "What kind of a deal?"

            "First,...I'm not going to kill you."

            "Why?"

            "I need you to do something for me."

            "What's that?"

            "I need to get a message out of here, and they have shut down all the phone lines and computer terminals, they have disconnected me from the world?"

            "Yeah, so, what do you want me to do?"

            "You're going to help me."

            "Oh, am I?"

            "Oh, yes you are."

            "What makes you think so?"

            "Because you won't have any choice, I know how to get what I want from you, you're just a puny mortal, you can join us or I will just have to force you."

            Towney was understandably frightened, but he kept his cool demeanor, Childs found this amusing, it was kinda cute the way this little man tried to brave this confrontation.  Childs winked at him and the reporter pissed himself, he tried to control himself but could not.

            "I can make you do whatever I please, you see."

            Robert Towney was demoralized and embarrassed.

            "All I want you to do is deliver a message to some people on the outs and if you refuse, I'll kill your friend.  Here, come to the window."

            Childs got up and put his hand on his shoulder and walked him over to the window that overlooked the day room.  "See those men sitting at the table playing cards?"

            "Yes."

            Childs pointed his finger at one of the men and he rose from the table, reached in his back pocket, pulled out a shiv and ran it into his own heart.  The other three men just sat and watched in utter amazement as he fell on the floor convulsing, his blue shirt slowly becoming red.