Cathy

Detective Merrill Graves came away from the meeting with Childs with mixed emotions. Now he was driving down the street on auto pilot hardly noticing he almost ripped the door off of a parked car some old lady was getting out of.

It was time to knock off for the day but he knew tonight he was going to take his job home with him. This case had his stomach doing flip flops regardless of the amount of tums he fed it. He radioed in that he was heading in for the day and got on the Harbor Freeway, it was rush hour grid lock but today he really didn't care. His mind was a maze of hot wires zapping and clicking.

As he sat behind some guy in an old Ford van, he wondered how many people on this freeway knew or even had an inkling of the role spiritualism had in their worlds. Before he began this case he thought all that spirit stuff was all a bunch of fuckin' bullshit but after seeing all this self-debauchery by people thousands of miles apart with all the strange notes, "I'll be back" and "You can't touch me now" and "Beware of the new God" and 10 others at last count, even he had to start believing in something other worldly.

The meeting with that lunatic today was the topper, he was afraid somehow that something like this was going on. It frightened him. No actually, it scared him shitless. Where does it go from here. He tried to keep his logical and rational hat on but it was getting harder and harder to do.

"Maybe I should get off this case." he said aloud to himself, and then he looked up and noticed he missed his turn off to the Hollywood Freeway.

"Fuck'n Dickhead." he said to nobody and no one.

Disgusted with himself he hit his right signal and got off at the next exit. There was a greasy burrito stand right in the neighborhood on San Fernando Rd. so he decided to get some grub. He ordered his usual chorizo and egg burrito and got a handful of jalapenos. He took it to the car and laid it down on the hood still thinking about the look in his eyes.

Those eyes...

That was the most convincing part, he knew a liar when he saw one and he had seen plenty of wacko's in his time but this guy was...what was the word?.... Lucid. That's it, lucid.

This Fuck-wad knew exactly what he was doing, but how is he supposed to go to the Chief with this shit. 'Well ya see chief,' he imagined Maxwell Smart, 'What we have here is the old...' "What? The old what?" he thought to himself. "The old spirit in the sky trick." And the Chief would say "Yeah, right, and we got the devil locked up in the holding tank right now, he's waiting for you to question him."

He ate half his burrito and a couple chilies and threw the rest in the trash. He had no idea what to do with this but he knew he was going to have to see Mr. Childs again. He went to the station and checked in and then went straight home. He pulled into his driveway in Reseda just as his Wife was coming out the door to go on a shopping errand.

He got out of the car just as she came around the corner of the garage.

"Oh hi Hon." she said.

"Hi, Cath," he tried to sound cheerful.

"Rough day huh?"

"Same ol, same ol."

"You look beat, why don't you go in and take a nap and when I get back from the market, I'll give ya a rubdown and fix ya some dinner."

"Sounds great babe."

"By the way, the kids are spending the night at Mom's." She looked at him seductively.

"We're all alone tonight."