EMMA AND RACE @ THE HOSPITAL

"You can see her now sir."

The nurse was talking to Race letting him know it was okay. He had been writing his song for hours, he had it all just about done except for the middle eight, he looked at his watch and it was 2:46 am. "Boy, time flies when you're having fun," he thought then told the nurse,

"Okay, I'll be right there."

He gathered up his things, stuck his pen to his collar and followed the nurse down the halls to Emma's room. He stepped in and Emma was sitting in her half reclined hospital bed with one of those televangelist on the tv hanging from the ceiling, she looked up from her magazine when he came in and smiled broadly.

"Hey there stranger."

"Hi." he replied kind of timidly. "How ya doing?"

"Okay, I guess, the doctor says he'd like to keep me overnight for observation."

"They figure out what happened?"

"Not yet, they want to wait for test results, they poked and probed and took blood and urine samples, they're going to do an electrocardiogram tomorrow morning. They said it's probably nothing serious."

"What do you think happened?"

"I don't know...it was the weirdest thing, all I know is I was on the phone waiting for a detective and then I was on the floor with you."

"You scared the hell outa me you know, you were for all intent and purposes no longer with us, you know."

"I know, that's what's so weird."

"Whataya mean?"

"Well...it's hard to explain really, I guess...I don't know, I didn't like, feel dead."

"Good thing I had that hospital job."

"Yea, I guess so."

They were both trying to not talk about what had gone on before between them, like maybe it didn't really happen. It's scary for two people to really unite, to become mutually exclusive. It entails the giving of a part of yourself, maybe a part that's been damaged or abused, the part that's frightened to be hurt again.

"So..." said Race. "Are we going to like...ignore...ah what...you know...like...what happened?"

Emma just looked at him with a smile and looked down at her own hands fiddling with the sheets. She looked like she was on the verge of tears.

"Hey, hey, what's a matter?" He rushed over and sat on the edge of her bed and held her working hands, she looked up and looked back.

"What's happening baby?"

She was biting her bottom lip, trying to work the words up out of her throat, very quietly she said, "I didn't want you to know."

"It's alright, I didn't want you to know either."

She shook her head and caught an escaping cry as a tear ran down her cheek. She glanced up at him and then back to the sheets.