CHILDS BECOMES ONE

Childs became one with the player and washed away the veneer that was the powerless, drugged, troubled, broken man that he had to show to that stupid shrink, that job was done and now his real purpose could begin.

He didn't take a deep breath to prepare himself for what he knew was to come, he didn't steel himself for the punishment he was about to endure, because he knew it would mean little or nothing.

"O.K. dickless fuck, we're just gonna make sure you stay in line." and with that, the biggest guard of the two raised his baton two handed like a baseball bat and laid it heavily across the small of Childs' back...

Thwack!

Child's didn't flinch, he didn't make a move or a sound, he stood silent and motionless like some kind of meat statue. Child's just turned around and put his hands out to the guard to undo his cuffs, looking straight ahead.

The two bulls just looked at each other like they did in the shrinks's office, only this time in their eyes they exchanged fear as a common denominator, Child's only standing with his arms out awaiting release.

This time they hit him square across the abdominals, two fisted looking for a home run.

Thud!

Nothing.

"What are you, fucking superman?"

Child's spoke in his charming, frightening voice.

"Please release me."

"Fuck you man, you think I'm a fool?"

"You are a fool. Release me or I will kill you."

The guard was hoping the camera would come back on, but it didn't.

Child's said "Now."

The guard scrambled for the keys on his belt and hesitated a moment to look at Child's face and decided he'd better do as he asked.

He unlocked the cuffs as the other guard unlocked the leg irons, the other inmates were watching this whole episode and the joint was as quiet as a Sunday service.

The two bulls were shitting their pants. They didn't know whether to shit or go blind. There was something very strange going on here and all they wanted to do was get the hell out of there.

Childs turned around and faced the entrance door to the joint and awaited it's opening. Finally, the red light on the camera came on and the back door slid open, releasing the two bulls to freedom. As that door closed, the entrance door opened.

Childs stood in the doorway and surveyed the area looking at all the inmates whose eyes were glued on him, still silent, as if they were all sharing a vision...

Childs stepped into the day room like King Henry the eighth addressing Parliament.

"Our time has come." he said. "You shall know me as Preacher."

The joint roared with approval.