LAUGHTER

A fleet of double decker tour buses, 5 in all, pulled in behind the Rissmiller Hotel and the inmates were unloading boxes out of the holding areas customarily used to carry baggage. In the boxes was clothing for them to change into, the Masters had set up crews for distribution and the men began to change at once. It was mostly slacks and sweaters, with some special wardrobes that held Pierre Cardin business suits for the them.

            Now the convicts looked like a posse of yuppies going to a yuppie convention.  Their prison blues were put into the boxes and returned to the holds of the buses and they re-boarded.

            Preacher, Dodds and Madeline, the Mother, left first in Madeline's stretch limo and headed for the new quarters in the middle of the Palmdale desert. In the cover of darkness they traveled, 10 minutes apart down the 14 highway to Agua Dulce where there was an old abandoned mine that Madeline had been using as a storage area for weaponry.  It already had it's own power supply and lighting deep beneath the earth of the desert. They arrived one at a time and unloaded, taking their boxes of prison blues with them, leaving nothing to chance. Childs had men sent back with each bus to eliminate the drivers after they returned to the city, each one in a different area. The way things were now, they wouldn't even hear about the disappearances until it was too late.

            There were old mining carts in the mine that would hold 30 yuppies a trip, like the Gold Rush Mine ride at Knott's Berry Farm.  Preacher sent a train of men down first to check out everything before he and Dodds and Mother followed. They had walkie talkies and told him everything was clear.  They then proceeded down with another load of men and the rest filed down after them.  Once at the end of the line Preacher got out and looked around as Mother gave him the grand tour.

            "Fascinating Madeline!"

            "I knew you would be impressed."

            "Yes, this is perfect, almost as if you were expecting me."

            "I have always expected something, we have state of the art surveillance systems.  The same systems used in Desert Storm, they can't get within a hundred miles of us without our knowing and we have the armament to take them out if necessary.  These men are Israeli guerrillas, trained by the highest skilled, most respected soldiers of fortune in their respective fields.  There is nearly a mile of earth above us and everything has been supported to safeguard us against cave in."

            "There is and always has been 24 hour guard posted at the entrance in case anybody wanders too far down the hole and discovers this facility.  All our power supplies are shrouded against detection and in the 6 years I have had this facility in place we have only been discovered by children who were adventuring and we eliminated them on contact.  Come, let me show you the meeting place"

            "I knew you would be of great benefit to me Madeline."

            "And you to I Jonathan."

            She led him down a tunnel that had been carved away with a perfectly flat floor. At the end of the rocky corridor they entered a giant chamber the size of the Forum. On one side was a small waterfall cascading down a 40 foot wall and emptying into a small pool that was part of an underground lake, the lighting was by giant crystal chandeliers, 8 in all, and on the far end was a stage carved out of rock.  Childs was very impressed. 

         "This is wonderful, Madeline, simply magnificent!"

            "Thank you Johnathan, there are only 4 entrances to this chamber, 3 of which allow the general population to enter from the various areas of the complex and one that goes to our quarters."