Chapter 17: The Search Continues

The Avengers sat around one of the many rooms aboard the hellicarrier. All but two that is.

Tony sat at a table, coffee mug in his hand. The bags under his eyes were evidence of his lack of sleep due to searching for Elena for hours at a time all through the day and more often than not, into the late hours of the night.

Natasha sat at a laptop. Looking through every S.H.I.E.L.D. file, searching for anything that might give them a hint as to Loki's and Elena's whereabouts.

Steve and Clint sat on the floor, talking about anything and everything that had any relevance to Elena and/or Loki.

Bruce was working in his lab. He had locked himself in there about two weeks ago. When he wasn't searching every camera, every satellite, anything really, for traces of Elena, he was working on a new project. He would get food through a little flap in the door that he had installed shortly after locking himself in there.

Thor was back in Asgard, talking to Heimdal. He had been doing this every day since Elena had gone missing.

"Nothing has changed, my friend. I still cannot see her." Heimdal informed Thor.

"Heimdal, you can see every soul in all of the Nine Realms, how is it that you can't see my brother and my niece?! For two months you have not seen them!" Thor all but shouted.

"Loki has done this before. He can use magic to conceal himself and others. I apologize, but I still cannot see them."

"Send me back." Thor sighed.

In a flash of light, Thor had been returned to the hellicarrier. He slowly walked the halls until he came to the room that the others were in.

They all stopped what they were doing and stood up as he entered. They had been doing this ever since his first trip to ask Heimdal if he had seen anything. They were all hoping for any news on Elena.

"It is no use. Heimdal remains unable to see them."

They all sat back down and the mood in the room was gloomier than ever. They lost more hope every day.

No one had seen or heard from the two in two months; how could they not lose hope.

Just then, Coulson came racing into the room, breathing heavily. He had ran here the moment he had heard the news.

"Banner might have something." He huffed.

The Avengers stood up once more.

Could they really be close to getting Elena back? Or could the universe be playing a cruel, sick joke on them?