Chapter 2: My Mischief will Never be Managed

17 years have passed since Elena's arrival to SHIELD. Elena is not like most people her age. For starters, she lives with the Avengers.

Elena woke to someone shaking her.

"Hey kid, did you know that Capsicle has friends?! Like, actual friends?!? Neither did I! What, you don't believe me?! Well, guess what! He's here to meet you! Why he would want to meet YOU of all people, is completely beyond me though-"

"Shut up, Tony." she said into her pillow.

Without moving her head, Elena pretended to be stretching and she "accidentally" punched Tony in the nose. Hard.

"Oh! Tony! Did I hit you when I was stretching?! Oh I'm so sorry!" she said, pretending to be sorry. Tony, who had heard the fake sympathy dripping of her voice, shot her a dirty look and walked out of her room.

Sighing, Elena jumped out of bed and raced to the mirror. If Steve's friend was here, and she had to get ready for school, she had about five minutes to get ready.

She glanced in the mirror and morphed into her "school-girl" form.

Elena had two different forms. Her school-girl form was the form that the Avengers made her use whenever she wasn't on the hellicarrier. She had shoulder length straight brown hair and deep chocolate brown eyes.

This form required her to wear glasses. Tony always insisted on going and getting glasses for her, and would always return with black glasses that had really big lenses. It was this that got her branded a nerd.

Elena much preferred her natural form. In her natural form, Elena had long black hair that could be straight as a board one day, and an unruly, curly mess the next. She also had piercing green eyes that added to her character.

In both forms, she was unnaturally small. She still wore a size 32A bra, something that Natasha mercilessly teased her about. Steve would tell her that she was so skinny that it would've made him look like he was the fattest man on Earth before undergoing the super-soldier serum.

However, though she was small and lanky, her fighting skills, mischief making, and magic were just a few things that made some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents cower in fear as she walked by.

She quickly got dressed and brushed her hair. She grabbed her textbook, homework, and the book she was reading, and shoved them into her backpack.

She grabbed a few hair ties and put them on her wrist before throwing her backpack over her shoulder, and sprinting out the door of her room.

She skidded to a halt in front of the kitchen. She hadn't eaten all day yesterday, and wasn't particularly hungry now, but she was human, and she needed to eat.

She silently opened the door to her right, and sneaked in. She walked over to a counter, and stole a large muffin before running out again.

Elena shoved the muffin into her mouth and slowed to a walk. She honestly wanted nothing to do with Steve's friend, but, Steve had always been supportive of her, so she was going to force herself to play nice. For Steve.

She smoothed out her hair and walked around the corner into the room where the Avengers were awaiting her arrival.

Whatever conversation the Avengers and Steve's friend were having stopped as she entered the room.

"You must be Elena! Steve's told me a bit about you!" a tall African-American man said.

"Hello." was all Elena said. She had decided that she would pretend to be shy and try to make friends with this man. It's always good to have another ally,

"Elena, this is Sam Wilson. Sam, this is Elena." Steve introduced them.

Sam outstretched his hand for Elena to shake. She timidly took a few steps forward and shyly shook Sam's hand. She ignored Tony's raised eyebrow that was turned in her direction.

Sam started talking again, but Elena wasn't listening. She watched the clock from the corner of her eye, making sure that it would go unnoticed.

Twenty minutes later Sam was still talking, and Elena needed to leave for school ten minutes ago.

She discretely kicked her backpack over on its side in hopes that the thud it would make would get the others (or at least Steve) to look at it and realized that she had to get to school.

"Oh! Excuse me Sam, but I have to get Elena to school!" Steve said, jumping up and grabbing his leather jacket.

"Of course!" was all Sam said before resuming whatever the heck he was talking about.

________________________

10 min. later

"You know, you really should've been more responsible and taken action in watching the clock and making sure you got to school on time!" Steve was lecturing her for something beyond her control. again.

"Yes, Steve." Elena sighed. She had learned that arguing with the Avengers was completely useless because they had such a big ego that they wouldn't stop what they were doing until they had gotten their way or until someone admitted they were right. Yes, even Steve.

The familiar swaying if the subway stopped and the two stood up to get off at the stop.

They climbed the stairs out of the subway station in silence. Steve got to the top of the stairs and turned to watch Elena. Her school was two buildings to the right of the the subway entrance. When Elena had gotten into school, Steve turned and left to go back to the hellicarrier

Elena had barely gotten through the doors, when a familiar, large shadow came behind her.

"Where ya think you're going, wimp?" a cold voice asked.

She cringed. She was hoping to avoid this for one day. Just one day was all she wanted. Is that too much to ask?