Chapter 6: Realization

Elena woke with a start. She looked over at her clock that was sitting on her nightstand.

It read 12:00 PM. Elena freaked out. Not only had she slept for half the day, she was supposed to be at school. Then it dawned on her; today was Saturday.

Elena wanted to crawl back to bed and curl up under the covers, but she knew she couldn't.

She stood up and began her daily routine for getting ready. Once she was ready, she threw open her bedroom door and took a step into the dimly lit hallway.

She had just barely taken her first step forward when she heard paper crinkle under her foot.

She had stepped on another note.

Hey Elena!

I went out early to go help the rest of the gang. Apparently Bruce isn't coping well and keeps Hulking out. And Tony's having a ball trying to get Banner to Hulk out and then blaming it on the stress-levels of the mission. It's not good. I can see why Fury made the call. Anyway, same rules as yesterday: no snooping, no magic, no blowing stuff up. Go ahead and do sciency stuff in Banner's lab. Sam should be around if you need anything. See you later tonight!

Steve.

Elena turned the note over, making sure she had read the whole thing. When there was nothing on the other side, she couldn't help but smirk.

Perfect! she thought.

She now has the perfect opportunity to go see her "new friend".

She raced down the halls, turning every couple of minutes, going in the opposite direction of the room where Loki was locked up yesterday.

Eventually, she arrived at her destination; a hallway that no one but she had used in about 10 years.

The already dim lights would flicker every once in a while.

What Elena found most useful about this hallway, was the ceiling.

The ceiling sloped lower than the rest of the hellicarrier. An air vent had been placed on one of the lower parts of the ceiling.

Elena silently unhinged it and hoisted herself up into the ducts that lead to almost every room in the hellicarrier, before quickly replacing the vent.

She crawled through the ducts for a few minutes before stopping to get her bearings.

She looked down through the vent next to her and saw the kitchen, teeming with the cooks and other staff members.

Elena quickly formulated a plan, and when there was a momentary lull in the hustle, she swooped down and into the kitchen.

She frantically raced around, grabbing random foods and throwing them onto a metal tray.

When she thought she had enough, she put the tray in the duct and pulled herself up again.

Moments after replacing the vent, the kitchen door opened, and the hustle and bustle resumed.

Elena decided to use a little bit of magic to levitate the tray in front of her, this way she could still be silent.

Once she had finally reached the right vent, she peered through it to make sure she would be the only person, other than Loki, in the room.

She decided that the coast was clear and opened the vent. She dropped to the ground and landed perfectly balanced on two feet.

"Hi!" she said to Loki before grabbing a table and dragging it under the vent.