Chapter 5: Company

Elena silently made her way to the only room she hadn't yet checked. She made sure to stay in the shadows and walk silently all the way there.

She crossed the hall to the large metal doors. She pulled on the doors to open them, but they were locked.

Leave it to S.H.I.E.L.D. to try and lock me out of the one room they currently want me in the least. I mean, seriously, do they think I'm just going to go 'Oh darn it! The door's locked. Oh, well. I better not even attempt to unlock it or anything'?! Elena thought.

Hidden in the teenager's pocket though, was a bobby pin, and she knew this. She withdrew the small pin from her pocket and quickly unlocked the door.

She threw open the doors and waltzed in like she belonged there, though in all reality, Elena knew very well that she did not belong there.

Elena stopped right before she got to the cell. Folding her arms across her chest, she inspected the prisoner.

He was turned away from her, but Elena still stood there and looked at him.

The man had shoulder-length black hair, much like Elena's. He wore a strange green, gold, and black colored outfit consisting of lots of leather and metal. His hands were in some kind of highly complex set of handcuffs that looked like they weren't even of Earth.

"Are you just going to stare at me, or do you have a reason for being here?" the man asked in a harsh tone.

"Well that depends." Elena replied.

Loki was surprised to hear the voice of a young woman. He turned to face the woman so he could see who she was.

"Are you going to tell me who you are and why you're locked up in a cell aboard the ship that I call home?" Elena asked.

Loki didn't think that there was any Midgardian out there who didn't know who he was. Who didn't know what he had done.

"I am Loki, of Asgard. Burdened with glorious purpose. As to what I have done to 'get myself locked up aboard the ship you call home,' I tried to rule you petty mortals several years ago... but I am quite sure you knew that." he replied, quoting Elena.

"Nope. Never knew that. For whatever reason, nobody ever bothered to tell me." she said.

Loki knew she wasn't lying.

"Now that I have told you who I am, you must tell me who you are, foolish mortal." Loki sneered.

"First off, last time I checked, I don't take orders from you. Secondly, I never planned on telling you who I am, and I still don't. And third, nobody calls me foolish and gets away with it, but since you didn't know that, I let it slide, just this once."

Loki was furious now. He wasn't going to be treated like this, especially by a stupid mortal girl.

"Tell me now, or I'll-" "You'll what? You aren't going to do anything to me. You know why? Because you're in there, and I'm out here. End of story." Elena snapped.

She was tired of this guy trying to order her around. Who did he think he was? A god?!

It was then that she realized where he said he had come from.

"You said you're of Asgard?" she asked.

"Yes, I did. Are you deaf? Or just stupid, and idiotic like the rest of your species?" he shot back, venom dripping from his voice.

Elena rolled her eyes at Loki. She took a few steps forward and sat before the large, circular cell with green-tinted glass.

"If you're from Asgard, do you happen to know my-" Elena quickly stopped herself from saying uncle. "would you happen to know Thor?" she continued.

She watched as Loki's posture became rigid, and his face livid. Well, at least they had one thing in common; they both despised Thor. At least based on Loki's reaction he hated Thor.

"Ah, so you do know him." she said smirking.

"I do not see how this is of any importance to you." Loki growled through gritted teeth.

"Well I'm not telling you that either." she said.

"So I take it your 'world-domination' plan didn't go all that well?" Elena asked. By this point, she was just trying to get under her skin.

If possible Loki's became even more livid.

"Get. Out. Now!" he hissed.

"Now why would I do that?" she asked with mock innocence.

"Get out before I decide to break out and kill you in your sleep, little girl!" he said in a deadly whisper.

"Oh I'm starting to want you to make me." she challenged.

Loki took a few steps forward and was about to threaten her again when the doors on the other side of the room opened.

Elena willed herself to become invisible, and felt herself doing so.

She stared at the doorway and saw Steve. He looked quite frantic.

"Have you seen her?!" Steve accused Loki.

"Who?" Loki replied cooly.

Elena wondered why he was covering for her sorry butt.

"I don't have time for this..." she heard Steve grumble before turning and leaving.

Elena felt herself become become visible again.

Loki raised an eyebrow at the girl, who had plastered herself against the wall and her face had gone if possible paler than she already was.

"Are you afraid of him?" he asked questioningly.

She seemed to have noticed the position she was in and quickly composed herself.

"What- oh, no. Just scared half to death by his dramatic entrance." Elena said before attempting to take a few steps forward, but she went tumbling head-over-heels and landed rather ungracefully on her butt.

It was all Loki could do to keep from snickering, but there was no way to mask the smirk that crept across his face.

"No, I think it's more than that." he said.

Elena rose to her feet and brushed off her knees. She looked up at Loki and shot him the death stare.

"So, why did you cover for me?" Elena asked.

Loki shrugged and turned away from her. He honestly didn't know why he had done that. Maybe because she didn't treat him like scum and hate his very being?

"How did you do that? Become invisible I mean?" Loki countered, avoiding the first question.

Elena simply shrugged. "I have magic." she said.

"Is that why you're on this Flying Fortress?"

She raised an eyebrow. " 'Floating Fortress'? Really? I suppose you could say that's why I'm here..."

Loki wondered what she meant by that and was about to ask her, but She spoke up before he could.

"Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but as you can see, my good friend Steve is about to blow a gasket looking for me,"

'Blow a gasket' what on Asgard is that supposed to mean?! Loki wondered.

"See you tomorrow!" she called over her shoulder as she turned and left the room.

Loki watched her go. For once in a very, very long time, someone other than his adopted mother had shown him kindness.

"No!" he mumbled to himself. "I am not getting attached to a petty mortal!" he told himself.

It was only then that it registered in Loki's mind that she had said 'see you tomorrow'.

He became overjoyed at this. There was to be a next time! How could he not be happy?