It continued like that for a while. Their side faced the three, so only blonde and jet black hair was visible. Sasuke already knew what both Ino and Sai looked like, however, given that he shared an apartment with Sai and Ino attended his high-school. 

The food arrived, Anzac biscuits and hot chocolate for Sai. He had never been a sweet tooth. Ino, however, as the opposite.  Two different types of cupcakes and a lemon meringue sat on her plate, along with an iced chocolate. 

Ino brought her phone out and gestured for a photo. The two turned their face towards Sasuke so that the sun would enhance their skin, probably Ino's words. All three of them had a perfect view of their faces now, lighting up into cheesy smiles. 

"That's Sai?" Sakura gave an angry shout and stood up. Sasuke raised an eyebrow at her behavior, confused. Sai wasn't that ugly that Sakura would be angry. Does she know him? Sakura glared down at Shikamaru. "Why did you send my best friend on a date with a jerk like him?"

Do you see everyone as jerks? Sasuke wanted to question her badly. But they were on a temporary truce. He couldn't argue back with her. Why Sakura thought Sai was a jerk was beyond him. Sai could be a bit stone-faced at times, but Sasuke thought his blunt humor was hella funny. 

"Sai's not a jerk," Shikamaru said smoothly. He gestured towards the café, where the two were laughing. "Besides, they seem to be having fun. I knew they would be a good match."

"Hmph," huffed Sakura, sitting back down and crossing her arms. "He was never that nice to me."

Sasuke found himself wondering where Sakura and Sai had met before. Eh, it didn't really matter. To him, anyway. "Sheesh, they've already finished their food. What pigs."

"Especially Ino," agreed Sakura instantly. "She goes crazy for food."

"That's good," Sasuke thought it out. "Sai's an excellent chef as well as an artist. You should see some of the work he's done at the gallery."

"Ino would love to be drawn by Sai," grinned the Haruno. "She needs to find someone that will make her look pretty instead of threatening to sue them."

"Not going to lie, I would take that rather than your punch any day," Sasuke smirked back instantly. "Even my worse enemy shouldn't experience that."

Sasuke smirk grew as Sakura laughed aloud. Reluctantly, his heart quickened upon hearing that. Even her laugh hadn't changed it nine years. It was still loud and different, a perfect description of her.

"See," Shikamaru smirked to himself. The two people sitting on either side of him glanced to face that pineapple head. "You guys get along."

What had just happened sunk in. Sasuke had a proper conversation with Sakura. The first one after he hurt her nine years ago. He never expected it to be so easy. Sasuke was just arguing with her a moment ago. Now they had been chatting like they were bestfriends. Sasuke turned his head to the side, hoping to conceal the faint blush growing on his cheeks. "Whatever."

"T-That was a one-off thing," Sakura stuttered, and Sasuke could sense her growing red. "I forgot that I was talking to the biggest dick on earth."

Ouch.

Pretend like you weren't laughing with me a moment ago.

Okay.

"I just forgot how pathetic and whiny Sakura Haruno is," Sasuke scoffed, insulting Sakura back. She rolled her eyes tiredly. Nobody insults an Uchiha and gets away with it. Even if he didn't really mean it.

"Shut it," Shikamaru interrupted, sick and tired from their bickering. "You two agreed to a truce. We're spying on Ino and Sai right now."