I Should've Been There

Hi! I'm super sorry for the lack of updates, I got back from a very rough family vacation, but now I'm back!

I also wanted to let you guys know that my friend @12adrienne2005 just posted a new book! It's a collection of marvel one shots, I just read it and I love it! It would mean a lot to me if you guys went and checked it out.

So this is a high school AU, and it's a pretty intense one so please read the warnings.

Warnings: self harm, scars, suicidal thoughts, depression, anxiety, mentions of abuse, angst, fluff.

This one gets deep, please do not read if you struggle with triggers like this, please please please.

Tony stood in the mirror, bare chested. He played with his hair, styling it to his liking. Ot never really cooperated, but any attempt made it a little better. He sighed, hearing his phone vibrate against the counter.

Stevie: meet me in our place twenty minutes before school ;)

Tony smiled. Their place was a small abandoned men's washroom in the basement of the school. It hasn't been used in years, and has no water flow, but is clean and it's where they're friend group likes to hang out during breaks.

Tony slipped on an oversized navy blue sweatshirt and black jeans. He'd stolen the sweatshirt from Steve, and it smelled just like him. He made sure his sleeves were all the way pulled down. Tony always wore long sleeves, made sure his wrists and torso were always covered. Nobody knew of course, and Tony wanted to keep it that way. He hated when all the attention was on him against his will. He rushed out of the washroom, grabbing his backpack and quickly throwing his blankets over his bed.

Tony crept down the stairs, careful not to make any noise. Unfortunately, he failed. His backpack wasn't zipped up all the way, and one of his heavy history books tumbled out and down the stairs, making a huge crash at the bottom. Tony winced, running down to pick it up and frantically trying to fix himself up.

"Anthony Edward Stark." A voice boomed out, and Tony shuddered, looking up to see the face of Howard Stark.

"Sorry." Tony mumbled, zipping the test of his bag up and trying walk away, feeling himself being pulled back to his original position by his collar.

"Don't you dare try and leave. Why the fuck did you make so much noise." Howard leaned in close to his face, and Tony could smell the alcohol laced in his breath. That wasn't good.

"It was an accident, it won't happen again." Tony said, squirming in an attempt to get away. Howard snarled, letting go of his tight grip on Tony's right shoulder.

"Go." Howard said, and Tony practically scrambled away. Just as he was about to open the door, he felt a blunt force come into contact with his side. Tony gasped in pain, falling to the ground. The blow came out of no where, and another hit his back shortly after. He gasped again, wind knocked out of him. Howard just let out a laugh, and Tony stumbled getting up, running out the door as fast as he could.

Once out in the street, his eyes started to water, a few small tears falling down his cheeks. He sniffled, adjusting his clothing and hair again, rubbing his cheeks and eyes of any traces of tears as he approached the school. Nobody was here, as he arrived twenty minutes early to meet Steve. He walked in, heading down the stairs into the abandoned part of the school. It wasn't dirty or creepy, but nobody used it except for the few kids who missed out on locker selection.

Tony crept into the bathroom, seeing the large and comforting figure that was his boyfriend. He sighed in relief, dropping his bag on the ground.

"Tony!" Steve smiled, pulling Tony into a huge hug. Tony laughed into Steve's chest. The broke away, and Steve's brow furrowed in confusion.

"What?" Tony asked, anxiety surfacing.

"Is that my sweatshirt?" Steve asked, smile tugging at his lips. Tony looked down, blushing slightly.

"Um yeah, I kind of stole it from you a week ago." Tony said, and Steve only laughed. Tony attempted a laugh, but memories of this morning at home made his anxiety peak, feeling a panic attack come on.

"Tony?" Steve asked, worry painted on his face. He moved closer to the smaller boy, who was breathing heavily. Steve grabbed his arm in an effort to comfort him, but Tony whimpered, pulling his arm away abruptly and backing into the tile wall. Steve stepped towards Tony, grabbing his arm lightly again.

"Ow." Tony yelped, pushing Steve slightly. Steve only stepped closer, slowly and carefully pulling Tony's sleeve up. Tony panicked, trying to pull it back down, but failing.

Steve felt his heart shatter into a million pieces. Tony's arm had white scars tracing up it, a few looking pink and relatively new. Steve looked back up at Tony, who had tears streaming down his face. He helped Tony as the smaller man slid down the wall, Steve kneeling in front of him. Steve pulled up the other sleeve, and Tony let him. The sight was the same, little white and pink lines littering his wrist and forearm.

"Oh Tony." Steve said, voice wobbly. Tony pulled down his sleeves again, bringing his hands to his face and sobbing into the soft fabric. Steve felt tears fall down his own cheeks, the sound of Tony's broken cries causing pain to erupt in his body.

Steve noticed Tony's arms wrapped around his torso, clutching it almost like he was in pain. Steve pulled Tony's arms away, lifting his shirt up to his chest. Steve gasped at the sight, which only made Tony cry harder. Tony's entire left side was a dusty purple and blue, black surfacing in the bruise. The blemish seemed to stretch around to Tony's back, but Steve had seen enough.

"Tony, who did this to you?" Steve asked, tugging the smaller mans shirt down to his jeans.

"H-Howard." Tony started trembling at the name, shaking like a frightened child. Steve hung his head, looking back up at the sobbing figure in front of him. He knew Tony had a bad relationship with his father, but he didn't realize it was this severe.

"Tony, baby, look at me." Steve pleaded, and Tony brought his arms away, from his face, head still down. Steve hooked a finger underneath Tony's chin, lifting his head up.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Sorry I wasn't there for you when I should've been. You deserve so much better. You deserve everything and more, I love you. Please baby, listen to me. You're beautiful, you're perfect." Steve said, voice breaking as he intertwined his fingers with Tony's. Tony was trembling, whole body shaking.

"Really?" Tony choked out, still crying. Steve brushed a thumb over his cheeks, wiping away the tears.

"Yes, really. I love you more then words can explain. Please." Steve pleased, and Tony let out another cry, burying his head into Steve's chest as the larger man scooped him up, bringing him into a tight and warm embrace. Tony sobbed and cried, soaking Steve's shirt and drawing in shaky breaths.

"Sh, it's okay doll, it's okay." Steve whispered into Tony's ear, stroking his soft brown curls.

"Promise to never leave?" Tony whispered shakily, and Steve nodded furiously.

"Yes, of course Tony." Steve didn't mention anything about Tony's scars just yet, Tony needed time. They would work on it together. Steve rubbed Tony's back reassuringly, the smaller mans sobs dying down a bit, becoming quieter, and soon turning into shaky breaths.

Steve continued to hold him tight, stroking his hair and cuddling him close to his chest. Tony's tears soaked into Steve's shirt, letting out emotions that couldn't be said with words.

"I should've been there for you." Steve whispered, and Tony shook his head.

"No, it wasn't your fault. Don't blame this on yourself." Tony pleaded. He couldn't live with himself if Steve felt responsible for all of this.

"Steve?" Tony whispered, voice wobbly and hoarse.

"Yes baby?" Steve replied, looking down at Tony's coffee brown eyes, glistening with tears.

"I love you too."