Let Me Be Your Shield

Laughter filled the room. The Avengers were celebrating their latest achievement. All the party guests had left an hour ago, and now it was just them, having fun and talking, like normal. Except something seemed off.

Tony stared at his glass, swirling around the bronze liquor. Steve watched him do this, studying every movement, every facial feature. Something was wrong, and Steve knew it.

Tony cleared his throat, getting up and taking a swift sip from his glass, downing the rest of the liquor.

"I'm going to get some air." He said, shuffling out of the room as quickly as possible.

Steve stared as Tony walked away, tuning out of the conversations. He got up abruptly, following Tony out, grabbing his shield just in case.

When he got outside, Tony was staring out into the field before them, seeming to be in a trance. His soft sniffles could be heard, and they rang in Steve's ears.

"Tony?" Steve called out quietly, and Tony turned around, startled.

"Oh, hi Steve." Tony sniffled, aggressively wiping his nose and eyes.

"Tony, what's wrong." Steve said, stepping closer. Tony stared at his feet, obviously embarrassed.

"It's...nothing." Tony said, trying to step away. Steve stopped him, holding his arm out to block the smaller man.

"Tony, tell me what's wrong." Steve said firmly. Tony shuffled his feet a few times, finally looking Steve in the eyes. Those ocean blue eyes never ceased to leave Tony breathless, feeling like the water was swallowing him whole.

"I feel like I'm worthless." Tony whispered, feeling tears bubble into his eyes. Steve continued to stare at him, speechless. Speechless at how a perfect man like Tony Stark thought he was worthless.

"Everyday of my life, I live with the feeling that I do nothing good. I feel like a waste to the team. Look at me, burdening you with my problems. I'm sorry." Tony mumbled, trying to escape again. Rain started to fall, cold drops mixing with the hot tears coming from Tony's eyes.

"Tony." Steve stepped closer, lifting Tony's chin up, staring into his beautiful coffee brown pools.

"You are not worthless. You are not a waste to the team. You are not burdening me with your problems. If you ever feel that way, or if the world around you starts to crumble, I'll be there." Steve said, wiping Tony's cheeks clear of the tears and rain drops. Tony looked down, not wanting to burden Steve with his issues.

"Let me be your shield." Steve said, and Tony looked up, staring at the super soldier. Steve lifted his shield above the two of them, shielding them from the rain. Steve's thumb traced along Tony's cheeks, sending a trail of fireworks across his face.

Steve leaned in closer, and Tony flushed, also leaning in.

"Steve..." Tony was cut off by a finger grazing his lips. Steve leaned in closer, their lips centimetres away from each other's.

"Shhh. Let me be your shield." Steve said, and Tony could feel the hot breath on his mouth. Their lips connected, Tony's dry from crying, Steve's soft and wet from the rain. They pulled away for air, and Steve rested his forehead on Tony's.

"Never think that way again. If you do, come to me. Please. I hate to see you hurt, it breaks me." Steve whispered, and Tony nodded softly.

Steve kissed him again. Tony's hands moved up Steve's neck, gripping his messy blond hair. Steve looped his free arm around Tony's waist, bringing him even closer then before. They pulled away for air, gasping and staring into each other's eyes.

"I love you. I've been in love with you since we first made eye contact. I want you to be mine." Steve said, and Tony smiled.

"I love you too. Be mine, please. I need you." Tony replied, kissing Steve. The soldier smiled against his lips, kissing him back. They intertwined their fingers, pulling away for the final time. Steve squeezed Tony's hand, lowering his shield down from above them.

"Time to go inside?" Steve said, leading Tony towards the entrance.