Hetalian History Class; The History of Greenland

I was always been alone, even when I was small. The happiest times I was alive was when I was a little country. When I first came to the world, I didn't know what to do, or where to go. Honestly, I was really scared about my future. I was a country that need to protect it's people, but I didn't know how to do that. I knew the only way to get better was to practice, and to keep evolving.

My happiest years, like I said, were when I was a Paleo-Eskimo, where we thrived on what I had. I would hunt for, and kill whales and caribou. Those were the most fun times I have ever had. In 986, I was hunting more caribou, until I meet eyes with dull indigo eyes, that I should have run away from, but didn't. He said he was to be trusted, and he promised me he wouldn't take over and make me live with him.  I believed in him, because he seemed reasonable. He said his name was Norway, and that he was part of a exclusive group of the Nordic 5. He told me stories of where he lived and what his neighbors were like. I often wondered what it was like to have neighbors, but since I'm out at sea, I never really knew. While he stayed with me, he started building homes, settlements for his people. Since I was so little, I didn't really notice what he was doing, until it was to late. In 1261, I was forced to live with Norway. In later years, I met Mr. Denmark for the first time. He was really handsome and brave. For years on end, I would meet with Norway, Iceland, and Denmark. At this point, Norway and Iceland would fight over my "territory." In the end, Norway won the fight, and Iceland retreated.

In the 1500, Portugal paid me a visit. He told me that his king sent him here to find a way to "Asia." I told him there was no such thing, but he could stay for as long as he wanted. After he searched, he drew the land I have been standing for thousands of years. He left soon afterward. Mean while, in 1605, Denmark sent a series of expeditions to my land and Arctic waterways to locate the lost eastern settlements and assert Danish sovereignty over me! Most of the expeditions failed miserably, because of improper leadership or something. In a way, Denmark inherited part of me, from Norway. For a long time, I had to transfer houses, from Norway's to Denmark's. Gradually, I was opened up to Danish merchants, and closed to those from other countries.

After a Norway's and Denmark's constant battle over who's wife I was going to be, Norway lost in 1814. I was now Denmark's and no one else's. I was soon married off to Denmark. I had to admit, I was happy to marry such a happy country that would always protect me, and that was the case, until World War II.

I remember I was at Denmark's house, then I heard a bang from the kitchen. What I found was Germany holding a gun to Denmark's head. Germany suddenly noticed me, and Denmark yelled, 'Run!' With that I ran. Now that I look back at it, if I was stronger, I could have helped Denmark, but I was to scared. I was then found by America. He looked a lot like Sweden and Finland, so I felt like I could trust him. He asked me if I could join him to stop the Axis, and I said yes. America made me realize the meaning of independence, and freedom. I gave him territory, and he gave me goods. I meet all the Allies, and became good friends with all of them. They even called me Bluie! Sadly, the more I talked to the Allies, the more I wanted to see Denmark. During the war, I remembered Denmark's strict rules and restrictions.

I leaned on him for everything! Not anymore!! I became a independent country that can stand on her own two feet! After World War II, America came to Denmark's house to talk about selling me to him! I realized there and then that America had fallen in love with me, and soon after words I found out that Denmark loved me with all of his heart and didn't want to let me go. How do I know this? Denmark's answer to America was no. In 1950, Denmark allowed me to go to America's house, and well let's say Denmark found out about America's real intentions and kicked him out. Denmark and I had many argument about my independence. I gained self-rule with provisions for assuming responsibility for self-government of judicial affairs, policing, and natural resources. Denmark maintains control over my foreign affairs and defence matters. My dream is to be fully independent, but honestly I couldn't imagine life without Denmark...