SIXTEEN: Skye Asks (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

But before I could say another word, heavy footsteps are coming towards where we're hidden. A rush of anxiety surged inside me as I cling to the girl tightly. We pushed our bodies to the edge of our hiding place and silently prayed that they won't find us. Her hands were on my mouth to keep me from screaming and she keeps on mouthing "be quiet" over and over again.

We stayed like that for a couple more minutes until we can't hear the footsteps anymore. She slowly removed her hands on my mouth and I let out the breath I've been holding. She gave me a small smile but fear is still visible in her blue eyes. Her face manifests pain because of the few bruises around her eyes and lips. A few scratches were also obvious on her neck.

I want to touch those marks to make her feel comforted but before I could even lift my hands, I felt a searing pain on my scalp as I found myself being lifted by the hair roughly.

"Found you!"

"LAYLA!"

I screamed so hard I didn't even know I'm capable of releasing such voice. I screamed and cried and kicked and punched but it's futile.

And with the last ounce of strenght, I made sure to call her by her name.

"HAL!"

- - - -

I jolt up.

Kinapa ko ang ulo ko dahil ramdam ko ang sakit doon partikular sa anit. That dream... It felt so real. Again.

My hand slid down on my face and I felt tears there. I was crying again. It wasn't the same dream I use to have but it's more painful this time.

And Hal. Why did I call Hali's name? I just met her but why does it feel like I have known her all my life after that dream?

Sa sobrang hingal ko dahil siguro sa pag iyak ay nakaramdam ako ng uhaw. Walang lamang tubig ang baso na nasa table kaya bumangon ako at nagtungo sa banyo. I drank straight from the faucet because I really felt the need to flush down the lump that build inside my throat.

I also splash water on my face and then stared at the mirror. I look really terrified. Napatingin ako sa leeg ko at naalalang may mga sugat doon ang taong nasa panaginip ko.

Napahawak ako sa sariling leeg. It's smooth. There are no scars or any evidence that I had them there. Mas lalo tuloy akong nakumbinsi na ibang tao nga ang nag mamay-ari ng mga sugat na iyon. Akala ko kasi kanina ay repleksiyon ko ang babaeng kausap ko sa panaginip ko. So it was a different person afterall.

And why did I call her 'Hal'?

Ipinilig ko ang ulo ko. I don't have time to think of these kind of things right now. Hinubad ko ang suot kong onesie dahil basa iyon ng pawis. I changed into some fresh shirt and shorts and decided to go out for some food. Having nightmare is exhausting.

But I was surprised to see bright light streaming through the pannels when I stepped out of my room. I haven't even noticed it was morning dahil sa makakapal na blinds sa kuwarto ko. It's already 6:30am base on the huge wall clock installed on the second floor living room. Might as well grab a breakfast.

I went straight through the kitchen and saw Night on one of the high stools on the kitchen counter. Pero hindi siya nag iisa.

"Morning," I greeted them as I enter the kitchen.

"Layla!"

I was caught off guard when she shouted my second name. I'm still pretty shaken with the dream I had because apparently, that person likes to call me by my second name.