Chapter 17: Graduation (May)

It was finally graduation day and everyone in Noah's house was in a frenzy getting ready. Sheila demanded everyone wore their best formal wear for the occasion since they were going to take hundreds of photos with Noah and Shade. Adrian's hair was currently being braided back neatly by Sheila as Scott dressed Rose who was being fussy and screaming while he slipped on the fluffy purple dress Sheila wanted her to wear.

Noah was upstairs in his room putting on a short sleeve black button down shirt and black dress pants. The black on black made his baby bump less visible from the front which is what he was going for. He knew his mother would be upset but he didn't want to feel more uncomfortable than he already did when people would stare at him and his belly. The graduation cap and gown was white and kept in the dry cleaning bag that hung in the closet. Noah wasn't donning the gown until he arrived at school.

As Noah did his hair a glimmer of gold caught his eye as he saw the ring Shade had given him the night before. He smiled thinking of the meaning behind it, he cried so much that night he was surprised his eyes weren't puffy and red. He didn't want Shade going home that night either but Shade had to return home since his graduation stuff was there and his siblings would probably want pictures with him.

The heavy footfalls that were ascending up the stairs was Adrian as he ran up to finish getting ready since Sheila wanted to do cute zig zag braids in his hair. Noah was the first to finish then Adrian who wore a light pink button down and khaki pants, then Rose who looked like a lilac shower loofah, then Scott who actually wore an expensive looking gray suit with a dark blue button down under and finally Sheila was finished and she wore a classy champagne Winslow dress, her hair was pushed back into a tight ponytail and her make up, light and natural.

Everyone was finally ready and Sheila started her photos.

Scott had to rush to Westwood High since Sheila took longer than necessary with her pictures. When they got to Westwood High the parking lot was nearly full and crowded with students who looked like ghosts with their white gowns on. Shade had gotten there before them and was taking photos with May and a tall man who looked like the slightly older version of Shade. The woman taking the photos also looked similar to Shade and was absolutely stunning with her long black hair, fair skin and striking blue eyes. Noah and his family approached the group and when Shade saw them he smiled at them all. After the woman was done with her picture Shade made his way to Noah and his family, May and the two strangers following behind.

Shade greeted everyone and introduced May to Noah's parents since they've never met and then introduced two out of the three older siblings he mentioned he had. The man who looked like a slightly older version of Shade was Ivan and the woman was Clare. Shade said his other brother couldn't make it to the graduation.

Soon they were joined by Damien, Demarcus and Ivy who Noah and Shade both invited to attend. They were all so excited and Ivy began crying seeing her friends in their graduation gowns ready to move forward in life. Sheila consoled her getting teary eyed also as she watched her son and Shade take photos together. Noah and Shade saw Nico but he was busy dealing with his family and soccer teammates so they just waved hello to him to which he mouthed 'help me' which they didn't do.

An announcement was made letting everyone who was still outside the school to start making their way inside and the graduating class to meet in the cafeteria. Noah and Shade both parted from their family and friends and made their way to the cafeteria where they were seated in alphabetical order of last names. Then they were instructed to walk across the stage when their names were called and shake the hands of the principal and some other important people. They were warned not to act a fool on stage and that all of Westwood would be seeing them since the graduation was being broadcasted. After that graduation started.

In the large auditorium graduation began, families were told to keep the cheering to a minimum which no one listened to and students walked across the stage and stopped to take a photo with the principal. Everyone cheered for the students who were all proud that they made it. Some students invited their whole family plus extended family as cheers for them were basically roars that shook the auditorium. Every couple of minutes someone would yell 'that's my son' or 'that's my daughter'. A group of girls even yelled 'that's my best friend' making some of the graduating class break out in giggles.

Then it was finally Noah's turn to walk across the stage and his family did not hold back especially his mother who was practically screaming her head off with excitement yelling 'that's my baby'. They did the same for Shade when his name was finally called and he walked across the stage.

The valedictorian of the graduating class gave her speech and commenced the turning of the tassels and with that graduation finally came to a close and the students tossed their caps into the air cheering and crying. Girls hugged their friends goodbye while crying and the guys tried to act tough and gave 'bro hugs' to their friends all the while holding back tears. The auditorium was buzzing with excited families and teenagers who were ready for the next step.

Noah had a small graduation party with his friends and family at his house. Sheila invited Ivan and Clare along as well which they accepted. More pictures were taken by Sheila and Clare who bonded over the fact that they loved bothering Noah and Shade for photos while Ivan bonded with Scott over the boisterous women in their lives.

Nico declared which university he'd be attending and how excited he was that he might be playing on an all-star soccer team in the fall. Nico, much to everyone's surprise, also announced that he and May were officially a couple. May apparently caved in and accepted to go on a date with Nico the day before graduation and he apparently wooed her. Shade told Nico not to break May's heart followed by letting him know that he knows where Nico lives. Damien wished May luck and said it took a special kind of person to deal with Nico.

May still planned on taking a year off school to travel but she said she would start small before leaving the country. Her and Nico were going on a cross country road trip. Damien wished her good luck on that too.

Midway through the party Clare got a phone call that lasted quite a while and when she returned she pulled Shade away from Noah to speak to him about something. Even with the loud guest Noah was able to hear what Clare was saying to Shade except he couldn't understand the language. Noah watched as Shade's smile fell and his body get tense the longer Clare spoke to him. Ivan who was across the room saw what was going on and excused himself to see what was up and he shared the same expression as Shade.

Ivan left the party with Clare early. Shade was supposed to go with them but he refused. Sheila and Scott were ready to turn in for the night saying to keep it down as Rose was asleep upstairs. Adrian and Damien were weirdly locked in a deep conversation about soccer in the living room while Nico cuddled with May on the porch in the backyard. Ivy went home and Demarcus was eating the food his parents prepared for the party while observing Damien and Adrian.

"Are you sure your brother is in middle school? He's super mature for his age." Demarcus said watching Damien speak to Adrian like they were equals in age.

Noah shrugged, "He's gonna be a freshman at Westwood next year, he has always been weirdly more mature he just tries not to show it."

The later it got the quieter the house got as Nico and May left, followed by Demarcus. Damien was the last of Noah and Shade's juniors to leave. He told Noah that Adrian was a smart kid and he'd look out for him at Westwood which Noah appreciated. Damien then told Shade and Noah good luck with the baby and school and his door was always open if they needed anything. Shade thought it was ironic how mature Damien actually was even though he couldn't get over that girl from middle school.

With that Noah and Shade's high school career ended and summer began.