Chapter 33: Reverse Rejection

Virgil

I couldn't believe it. I slowly turned around to see it wasn't just my imagination or hearing going bad. There standing behind me was my mate from the ball. She was wearing black clothes, literally fitting into the shadows. Her eyes watching me, making my insides turn.

Don't know if it was good or not.

I shifted a little, looking around to see if there were other people watching us, but didn't feel any presence. I turned back to her, her scent filling my nose of some fragrance and something not right.

She smiled shyly, stepping out of the shadows and into the light. Her black hair blew into the wind, watching as she moved a piece behind her ear. "It's good to see you again."

My staring was becoming unnatural, so I glanced away from her and looking at some brush and a squirrel that hopped along.

"Your not going to talk to me?" She frowned, biting her lip which made me want to reach out and pull it out. "Can I talk to you in your other form? It's okay if you don't." She said quickly.

I shook my head, thinking about it.

Careful Virgil, remember she's not like you. Alu whispered making me remember what she did.

I was busy listening to Alu I didn't notice her taking more steps before she was reaching out to touch me. Without thinking, I lifted my head so I'll meet half way. Of course that's when I realized what I did, so I jumped away, baring my teeth.

"I'm sorry!" She said frightened, holding her hands to her chest.

If it wasn't for her bringing that creature into the ball. Your grandpa would be alive right now. I tense at his words, feeling it wash over me before feeling that anger and loss of what happened. I glanced up, meeting her gaze. Suddenly her shy image vanish, looking wary as she notice my threatening growl.

I stepped forward, remembering the way she talked to the snake woman, how she was able to lead it somehow even though it back fired.
But at the same time, she's my mate. I hate it. I hate it the most.

I have to do something. I have to say something.

I stopped growling, stepping back before shifting into my human form. I clenched my fists, staring at the ground before having the courage to look up.

"Why?" I asked, looking dead on. Making sure to keep eye contact as I took another step, which she didn't move. "Why did you do it Raven? If that's even your real name."

She gaped at me before getting rid of that wary form and changing to a fierce stance. "I had a reason, and you know what it is."

"You let someone important to me die. You let that thing hurt my family! I don't even understand how it's possible that your my mate! You're the enemy of my kind!" I shouted, and I don't even have to know that my eyes shifted and my body began to shake. "I know what your after, and I won't give it to you. I'll fight before I bare my neck."

She listened and glared, smirking which even though I made myself not fall for it, I was.

"What're you going to do? Reject your mate because of some old wolf was already about to pass. Good to know we're on the same page. You got to realize we're more powerful than you, and that stone that's keeping you alive will soon reject you. That the demon that holds it together will leave you for dead because your nothing to him." She spat, changing her clothing to her armor. "I'm going to bring that stone to my father, and we'll rise from the ashes."