Chapter XXX

The events of last night was left abandoned and unspoken. I had never seen Ben act so chipper than he did before. He is all rainbows and sunshine, as if he wasn't at the brink of total destruction.

Even his eyes doesn't have a single trace of whatever happened yesterday. His eyes met mine in an instance across the couch, his cheeky grin widening as he said, "You know, Fern doesn't really like anyone before you came."

My eyebrows knitted as I took a short glance at the green leaf wrapped securely on my wrist. "When I.. borrowed him from Finn, he wouldn't even want to form a sword in front of me; much less be touched by other Proxies. They all wanted him, wanted to try to wield the unwield-able sword." I opened my mouth to tell him that wasn't a word when he already raised his hand and beat me to it. "I know it's not a word, sheesh."

I let a smile form my lips. "I debated whether to return it or hold onto it. Like, maybe he was looking for someone as deserving as Finn, you know? Maybe he still hasn't found it yet? So I waited, for a second, I thought Flowey was gonna break him."

I tilted my head to one side as he continued. "He let Flowey touch him without turning his handles into thorns, or without limping its stem, or-or gliding ridiculously in thin air. He let Flowey wield him, thrusting and slashing the air. Flowey even beat me with it." Ben smiled at the memories, his eyes having a distant look in them.

"Well, what happened?"

The rest of the people inside the mansion had just woken up and was sluggishly making their way pass the living room and doing their assigned chores. Ben had finished his a couple of hours ago as we had woken up a few hours earlier than the rest of them. I was off the chores list as Slenderman insisted I might've been too sick for chores and should focus my strength on training.

"Well," Ben murmured, continuing with the story. "He didn't want him. And I think that's what tore Fern up. He was.. how do you say this? Inactive? For the past couple of years and only now did I see him so perked up."

I took another glance at the grass on my wrist, unusually quiet than it was yesterday. "I think he likes you." He told me giddily, each word reeks of Ben's sincerity, which is quite strange actually.

"You're a very likable person, Azz." I grinned sheepishly and thanked him kindly.

Slenderman came after, a lunch box in his hand as he said, "Ben will pick you up when your class ends. You be careful out there, alright?" I smiled and nodded, my eyes locking gazes with a familiar yellow orbs behind Slenderman.

"You will begin your training with Gaster effectively once you are home." Dr. Gaster mimicked Slenderman's demeanor silently behind the man himself, he looked like an absolute child as he did. Grinning wickedly at me as I suppressed my laughter.

"What is funny, child?" Slenderman asked and I jolted from my spot. Gazing at him sheepishly as I murmured, "Nothing, sir."

He sighed and swiftly turned around, catching a perfectly still Dr. Gaster. His once goofy expression shifting to a rather more serious one. "Gaster."  Slenderman acknowledged.

"Slenderman." Dr. Gaster repeated in the same tone.

"Do help the others with the kitchen work, please."

"Of course." Dr. Gaster spoke rather dramatically as he even did an exaggerated bow(talk about extra).

Slenderman sighed before turning back to me, the atmosphere feeling a little bit warmer. "Does he scare you?" I found myself asking and his shoulders shifted a bit.

The atmosphere suddenly felt calm and rather collected as Slenderman leaned into me and said, "I'll let you in on a secret."

I felt myself smile like a little child as I nodded. "He scares the shit out of me."