Chapter XIX

Everything didn't seem to return to normal after what happened last night. Ben had been avoiding me, Masky and Hoodie was more passionate in engaging conversations with me, Jeff was acting weird. Giving me side glances whenever I walk pass him. Sally had been her usual self and Slenderman.. well, he was still furious with Ben.

Jack.. was gone. Slenderman told me he was.. hunting. Whatever that meant. And I can't remember Jack-shizz about what happened while I was unconscious.

I sat outside the mansion, gazing at the swaying trees, the breeze gently grazing on my skin. At the furthest corner of the forest, I saw Jeff's familiar hoodie along with a furry creature hyperactively pouncing on and off of him. I saw him fell and the huge ball of fur leapt onto his chest. Jeff's pained grunt echoed even to where I was.

The ball of fur ran away from him once more and Jeff strolled back to where I was. He froze when he saw me, awkwardly scratched the back of his neck as he asks, "You didn't see that, did you?"

I shrugged and gave him a small smile. "Maybe a couple." The hooded man groaned in embarrassment as he crushed the leaves beside me.

We were both silent for a moment and I noticed his gaze flickering from the woods to my finger. Cautiously, I did the same. Examining the mark on my ring finger. It didn't fully return to normal, indeed, it wasn't shattered anymore..

But it had scars on it. Most of its black color dulled and gray in places it once shattered.

"How're you coping up?" He asked me suddenly and I shrugged.

"Apart from the fact I was almost sent to the Afterlife? I'm kinda good." Jeff winced quietly at my remark.

"I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that.."

"I'm pretty sure I don't deserve what followed afterwards."

Jeff just looked at me. "Ben's been.. pretty distant since the.. incident. Masky and Hoodie had never left me alone," I gestured towards the window where the two are pressed in on each other, "And you," I exclaimed, "you're acting weird."

Jeff rubbed his arm, looking at the ground apologetically. "Why can't things go back to the way they used to be?"

"It's.. not that easy." I gave Jeff a soft look because I know it wasn't. And it sucks to know that. "You're the first one, you know?"

That, I didn't know. "That's why we're all so.. shaken up. Slenderman told us stories of what'll happen, but we never really saw it happen. We didn't realize it would be that.. terrifying."

I remained silent.

"Imagine if you didn't return. Imagine if you were the first Proxy to have died from that. We wouldn't know how to take that in. We've lost Proxies through war and/or sacrifices before.. But never this."

"Jeff, I-"

"Talk to him."

"I don't think.."

"You don't think it's a good idea?"

I nodded.

He shrugged as he said. "Well, I don't think dodging and avoiding it does a pretty neat job, either. But what do I know?" Pushing himself off the ground with a huff, he held out a hand to me, "I'm just a psycho murderer."

A smile crept on my lips as I accepted his hand. He pulled me to my feet and stumbled upon the grass. "Thanks, Jeff."

"Don't mention it. But I do think you guys should talk, if I didn't make that clear."