Chapter 14| Jackass

Start from the beginning

"Well. It's her birthday and I thought..." I started. He frantically shook his head and looked back quickly into the shadowed room.

"We're not going." Her dad said in a low and gruff voice and my left brow twitched.

"Why not? She's your daughter." I said slowly, trying not to let a growl into it.

"She's gone. Please, her mother and I have gone through enough grief. As far as we know, Jezebel is dead. You need to face that that is not her. She's not coming back." Her father growled and for a moment I was going to yell at him... until I saw his expression.

The dull, anguished eyes that stared at me were one of a broken father. I took a deep breath and gave a nod. I laid a hand on his shoulder and he shuddered. I carefully set the cake down and pulled him into a hug.

He gasped before sobbing softly and I frowned and stared into the dark room.

"Y—you tell my baby that I'm sorry we couldn't make it but I can't go back to that damned hospital again a—and see her like that. Tell her we love her and you... You protect her, ya hear me?" He said pulling away and squeezing my shoulders. I gave a nod.

"I'm sorry sir... I'll look after her. I swear." I said and Jezebel's father sighed.

"I always hated you two together. But she'd go back to you no matter what I said... if you want to continue a relationship with her, if she gets better, I won't object." He said and I smiled softly.

"Alright." I said and knelt and picked up the cake again. "I'll see you around." I said before turning and walking away.

All this pain is our brother's doing. Chaos growled and I couldn't agree more.

I walked down the corridor of the hospital, passing many staff members who stepped aside.

"Jezy I'm about to open the door." I said as I came up to the entrance to her room.

I juggled the cake in my free hand as I opened the door.

I gasped as she shot passed me and out of the room. I was frozen as I watched the she-wolf run around the corner a surprised almost-smile etched to my slacked open mouth.

If this was an old cartoon this would be the part were they zoom in on my face as it morphs into a donkey with the bold word of 'JACKASS' right above me.

"Jezebel!" I yelled finally being able to move again, dropping the cake in the process, and sprung after her.

I honed in on the grey she-wolf as she scurried down the tiled hallways, her claws clacking against the floors as she zipped passed hospital staff that either attempted to catch her or hurried out of her way.

I caught her just before she jumped for a window. My hand clasped around her scruff and I pulled her to a jolting stop. She yelped and snarled, flailing about. I scowled as her claws raked against my arm and I grabbed her and hugged her to me.

The trudge back with the fighting she-wolf was more difficult than I hoped, especially with her biting at me.

I made it back to her room and after some hassle got the door open. I shoved her inside and quickly grabbed the cake from the ground and shut us both inside the room. She prowled to the other side of the room and I brought the cake up and sat down opposite of her.

"Dammit. You're making this so difficult. Ha. Happy birthday." I said sitting the cake down and wiping my eyes were tears had built up.

"Your parents are sorry they couldn't make it... but they can't see you like this. Th—they can't—" I choked on my words and covered my face in my hands.