"What... What's he doing here? Is he...oh, my— He's gonna come to my room and jump me. I knew it!" I whined, watching his little character as it got closer and closer to mine.

Trembling, I sat my phone down on my bed and waited for the knock on my front door or for it to fly open. But when neither things happened, I looked back at my phone and frowned confusedly at it. His Bitmoji was right beside mine.

I zoomed in on the map even more and gasped a bit upon seeing that he was in an apartment just a door to the left and across from mine.

"Does he live here," I mumbled. Nosily, I tiptoed over to my door and slowly opened it, peeking into the hall. Suddenly there was a loud clang down the hall, so I looked over, worrying that it was my biker-guy neighbor and his girlfriend. They'd always argued really loudly and they seemed terrible for each other but, astonishingly, they hadn't broken up once.

"Cameron?"

I jumped out of my skin at the familiar voice and turned around. "Cooper!"

"Hey! Do you live here," he questioned.

"Y-yeah, I do," I replied. "You?"

"Yeah," he laughed. "Holy crap, how have I not seen you around before? I didn't even recognize your car!"

"I don't know," I giggled nervously. Why am I so anxious right now?!

"Well, do you want to come over? Me and Giorgi are studying right now if you want to join us," Cooper offered.

"Really?"

"Yeah, absolutely! I've got snacks and drinks."

"Yeah! I'm just gonna grab my stuff!"

"Awesome! Doors open so you can just walk right in," Cooper said as we both walked into our own apartments. I grabbed my book bag and phone charger, and then headed over to Cooper's apartment, walking in.

"Hey, Cameron!" Giorgi boomed happily, standing up and raising his arms as he came over to me. Because of my past, I immediately flinched and backed away from my new friend, making him frown. "Are you alright?"

"I'm sorry," I said softly, turning my reddening face downward. "I-I'm just...a little paranoid." Cooper stepped over from the kitchen area and he called Giorgi's name when he saw me backed up on the door and the taller man standing over me. "Dude, what're you doing to him," he asked, anger lacing his voice.

"What? Nothing. I just came over and tried to greet him but he flinched away from me," Giorgi scoffed furiously. "I'm sorry," I muttered. Cooper "oh'd" and pat Giorgi's shoulder. "My bad, man. It's just...he told me about his past a little bit and I'm just trying to look out for him," my best friend said gently. Giorgi looked at me and then back over at Cooper. "We're all good. My bad for freaking you guys out. I didn't know about the situation, but now I do, and I'll try my hardest not to provoke you guys again," Giorgi chuckled.

Cooper laughed faintly so I did the same. I didn't find anything Giorgi said funny in even the slightest, but if my best friend did, then, maybe I just missed something...?

"Alright, well, my girl's been texting me nonstop. I'm gonna go check on her. I'll see you guys later, alright," Giorgi said as he collected his things.

"Alright, dude, see you later," Cooper said, patting Giorgi's back before leading me over to his couch. "Bye, Giorgi," I said, waving to the tall man as he left my best friend's room.

"Cameron." I turned and met Cooper's eyes. "I need help with finding and fixing problems with the—"

Vrrr! Vrrr! Vrrr! Vrrr!

I frowned when Cooper grabbed his phone. "Oh, it's Erin..." he muttered. "Are you going to answer Erin?" I asked, feeling a little jealous that he might. "Mm...nah. She's probably just calling to yell at me for hanging out with you so much," Cooper chuckled.

My eyebrows furrowed and I unconsciously tilted my head. "Why doesn't she like you hanging out with me?"

"Because she's afraid I'll cheat on her. She doesn't like it when I'm alone with guys as cute and sweet as you," Cooper sighed, leaning on his palm as his elbow rested on the back of the couch. "But we're best friends. Of course we're gonna hang out a lot," I giggled, internally raging about Erin's selfishness.

"That's what I try to tell her! But she's like: 'you guys aren't best friends! You just met a week ago!' And she goes on and on about how I ignore her, and all this other stuff about me being neglectful," Cooper scoffed.

I frowned angrily and looked at Cooper's phone as he held it, screen upwards. "That's really selfish of her," I mumbled. "Isn't it?! Like, I used to hang out with her and take her on dates all the time and now that I made a friend that actually cares about me and likes spending time with just me— without wanting to invite girls over or wanting me to set them up with somebody, she gets all snappy and selfish! And she talks so much crap about me to her friends," Cooper vented.

"That's messed up," I said. "B-but, um, I've been hearing about Erin for the past few days...but I still don't know who she is...exactly. Is she another friend?"

"She's my girlfriend. That's why she's afraid for me to cheat. Cheating happens when you're in a relationship with someone," Cooper explained.

"Oh~! I see.... So if I made another friend, would I be cheating on our relationship?"

Cooper chuckled and shook his head. "No, no, I meant cheating happens in a romantic relationship. Since Erin is my girlfriend, she doesn't think I should keep calling you or anyone else cute as long as I'm dating her. Make sense?"

I thought about it for a moment and then nodded. "So whenever you compliment me, that's considered cheating?"

Cooper shrugged and rolled his eyes. "It shouldn't be."

"Uh... Now I'm confused," I chuckled. "My bad," Cooper laughed. "It's okay for me to compliment you every now and again...but I can't do it too much," he said. "Oh, I see... It's okay for you to call me nice things as long as you don't do it too many times," I repeated, still having a hard time grasping what he was saying.

"Yep," Cooper said confidently. "Okay, okay...but if I was to compliment you? Would Erin get mad?" I questioned.

"Absolutely, she would," Cooper tittered. I frowned and shook my head. "I don't think I like Erin at all," I said honestly. Cooper laughed and ruffled my hair. "You and many others," he said as he got up and walked over to his kitchen. "Do you want anything? I've got water, soda, juice, etcetera, etcetera," he asked from the kitchen.

I got up and walked over to Cooper's kitchen, leaning on his counter. "Water, please," I decided. "Can you catch?" Cooper questioned.

"With my face," I mumbled, making Cooper laugh as he handed me a water bottle. "Adorable, sweet, funny, and shorter than me. Boy, am I glad I have you in my life," my best friend said happily, making me smile bashfully.

All this affection and kindness was so new to me! I couldn't process it! It was amazing, of course! I wouldn't dream of ever trading all the affection I was getting for neglect or harshness. I was incredibly grateful to have Cooper in my life, and I was gonna keep him in it as long as I could.

Even if it meant threatening or hurting other people. I wouldn't let anyone get in the way of my and Cooper's new best friendship.

Especially not anyone as selfish as Erin.

••••••••

I hope you enjoyedddd!!!

⭐️Please Vote if you liked it!⭐️