42) I've Been Taught

It's been seventy-six hours since I was shoved onto a plane and sent back to the security of the kingdom.

It's been ten hours since Chris broke the story of my where a bouts as well as my endeavors. The whole kingdom in obsessing over my Prince Charming football star.

Its been seventy-seven hours since Kolby spoke to me or even acknowledged my existence in away. According to Scarlet, he disappeared from the game and no one has seen him since. He never showed up for morning service. I bet he's at his grandfather's spot but I'll never tell anyone. Between Rose, Scarlett, and Ashley I've managed to gain access to real-time updates on the small town. I'm famous. Everyone is buzzing about me, my secrets, my failures. It only seems to make the pain worse.

It's been two minutes since Scarlett texted me:

Scarlett: How are you doing?

Scarlett: When can I see you?

Scarlett: It'll be ok

All very supportive words yet none of them bring me what I crave most; comfort.

It's been fifty-five minutes since my father went to speak to the council. Translation: not looking too good.

A few months ago I wouldn't have cared if I lost the crown. In fact, I thought I already had. In some aspects, I almost hoped I would. However, for a brief moment, trudging down the hell fueled walls of public high school, I thought who I was becoming was someone who could actually take charge. Not just take charge but beloved as my father had been before me.

I allow my head to fall back, hitting the wall a bit harder than a calm and sane person may allow but at this point, I am none of those things.

Thinking of all of the people who taught me how to act.

Rose taught me to be open and friendly to all.

Nana taught me to be silent, yet constantly moving.

Scarlett taught me to be true to myself.

Ashley taught me to be bold and always do what necessary.

The pastor taught me how to let God back in.

Cowdwell taught me discipline.

Tommy taught me to find the humor in things.

My father, who did what needed to be done for me to properly come into my own.

My mother who instilled in me courage.

And Kolby, who forced me to accept that I can be and do all these things. That I can be good. Be great.

Scarlett: A news crew is swarming Kolby's house.

My heart sinks at the words on the screen. I'm standing in the middle of a hell storm fueled by some of my biggest fears when the heavy creak of the conference room door snaps my gaze up from my phone.

I stand in the presence of my father, quietly, and patiently awaiting my fate.

The solemn look in his eyes says a lot but not everything.

"So?" my voice comes out in a shake all while laced with anticipation.

"Walk with me." he gestures us to head through the castle, "I'll be honest, it could've gone better," he says with a sigh. I can't say his words surprise me but I'm a bit relieved that he hasn't blurted out that I lost the crown for my family yet so I keep up with his pace and listen intently, "But it also could've gone much much worse."

I let out a deep relieved breathe, "What's our next move?" I ask.

My father takes my hand and lightly squeezes it in his, "There will be a character hearing."

"Come again?"

"There will be a hearing in which you may choose a few to act as a character witness before the council." he explains. My mind goes to those who I met during my brief exile. I nod recognizing the proper steps we'll have to take.

"Has Augustus spoken to you?" I ask out of curiosity.

"You mean about you taking control of both halves of the Kingdom?" he asks in response, surprising me. I nod, "Well in fact he already told the council."

I roll my eyes seeing as my dear cousin jumped the gun a little bit, "I told him the council would never find me fit enough."

"I wouldn't bet on that. For Augustus and his family to endorse to actually seemed to really convince the council that you still have some sort of appeal."

I let out a sigh of relief, thankful that, for once, something is going my way, "I'll need to make some arrangements to fly a few people who will attest to my leadership skills."

"Already done." my father says sending me a small smile. I return the small gesture but can't keep it together very long for my face falls pithing a split second, "Is everything alright?"

I nod but he sees through this brave mask and wraps his arms around me. For the first time in a long time, his hug isn't cold but warm and comforting. I can't hold in how I feel anymore. The flood gates open with force, seeing a river of tears seep into his dress shirt, "Dad, I'm really scared."

"I know baby."

"And I am so so so sorry." I sob harder into his chest.

"Me too," he whispers as he hugs me tighter. The light echo of my tears trails through the castle halls but the love between my father and I have come to light making the typically cold castle feel like something I've only ever felt around Kolby's dining room table with all my friends from exile. Home. Something I've truly missed.

Scarlett: See you in two days, love you ;)

Let me know what you all think❤️🌟

Published: 07/12/2019