38) Situational Headlines

I glide out of the Principles office, riding a wave of victory out of his office. On my way out I bump shoulder's with a very confident looking Brooklyn, "Watch if you crack head!" she squeals as she bounces off my stern frame. As of today, I will no longer be pushed around by the likes of her, "What are you even doing here? You're suspended you drug loving freak." her shrill voice could just about make my ears bleed. Although her intentions are to break me down today my mood will not falter. In a terrible way, I'm winning.

My eyes meet her, not with rage but with arrogance. Behind her I watch the wooden door open up to reveal her fate, "Brooklyn steps into my office." the principal grits through his straight lip smile.

The shock that plagued Brooklyn's face when the Sherif, a man in a DEA jacket, as well as a school counselor as the Principle held the door open wide to welcome her to her fall from grace. Her head whips back around to mine, eyes narrowing in on me, like a beast about to pounce, "What seems to be the problem?" she asks over her shoulder.

"That's a private matter. Please come with us." A deep voice says from behind her.

I send a small crisp smile at her and a slight shrug. Kolby comes from behind me, placing a hand on my shoulder, "How's my favorite girl?"

"Excuse me!" Brooklyn shrieks looking between the two of us, "What is the meaning-" she begins to question but I believe she found the answer all on her own. Quick like a flash Brooklyn reverts back to some primal ways as she lunges forward. She reaches over for my neck but luckily Kolby beats her to the punch as he engulfs her struggling body into his. This would be the last time she ever felt what it's like to be near him again.

She vigorously pounds her ting balled up fists against his chest, looking unfazed he walks her across the room in order to get her away from me, "You bastard! You set me up for the likes of her. She's a fucking addict and a damn slut!" she yells. The sheriff comes to Kolby's aid, grabbing Brooklyn's arms and restraining her. As she's dragged away she continues to spew insults, "she's using to you. You're so blind by her conniving ways you don't even see it."

"Don't talk about her that way!" he says finally allowing himself to lose his cool a bit, "Don't spew hate at the girl I love just because you can't handle how people move on." His words seem to break her down entirely as she begins to cry like a bursting dam. The abrupt slamming of the office door seems to drown out much of Brooklyn's crying.

Kolby takes my hand, "You did it." I feel how wide my eyes are looking at his hand take in mine, "Mina?"

I feel a bit dizzy. I back away from him slowly shaking my head, "Sorry I just, I gotta get to class. I have a lot of work to catch up on now that I've been out for a few days."

His face sinks as I shudder at his touch. My eyes can't meet his gaze but I feel how low he's gotten, "Oh ok, will I see you later?" he asks, his voice laced with hope.

"I have to go pick up my dress and get my nails done. I'll be with Scarlett. I'll see you later." I rush out before rushing out.

I ran away from Kolby. Not looking back. I spent the rest of the day ignoring him.

By the time the final bell had rung everyone was buzzing with the scandal

Headlines roared:

MAYOR AND DAUGHTER ARRESTED ON DRUG:

TOWN SHOCKED IHER SCANDAL:

CORRUPTION IN THE MAYORS OFFICE:

The townspeople seem to be furious and frightened, to say the least.

I'm with them.

"Don't spew hate at the girl I love"

His words ring in my ear like a thousand sounding alarms.

Love.

That treacherous word.

The last time someone who wasn't obligated by blood to say that pesky little word in reference to me I needed upon a nonstop party bender. I still haven't gained the weight back from all that cocaine not have I regained the trust I used to so willingly throw around.

On the outer steps of the school, I patiently await for Scarlett to pick me up. I spot Rose across the parking lot staring at me like I'm some sort of ghost. Her face pale and white, almost sickly, "Rose" I call out to her and send a friendly wave. She walks straight at me like a hungry shark torpedoing at its dinner. As she gets closer I notice the red patches dusting over her eyes. She looks exhausted.

She makes it to me at the base of the school entrance and grabs on to my wrist tight, almost as if she's trying to steady herself, "Come over for dinner tonight. We need to speak about this situation tonight." she says in a shaky hush.

She must mean the mayor situation maybe she knows we helped set Brooklyn up, "Of course. I'll be over tonight." I agree with the proposition although a bit weary. She nods to my aggressive but her eyes fill with tears leaving me with a feeling of fear, curiosity, and above all anxiety.

Once she leaves me and I'm secured in Scarlett's car I send Kolby a warning text knowing he won't see it for a bit.

Me: Something's up with your mom, but I'll see ya later.

Published:06/04/2019