47

Rio

"Yeah I don't think he knew what he was doin'." I chuckle, hearing Chris do the same over the phone line.

I shake my head, as my dark gaze is focused ahead on the highway. "So how's he coming along? Other than not packing the cash right." I smirk, as we flux in conversation about a new member of the gang.

"Eh, he's getting the hang of it. He's just young you know, kid's got nowhere to go." My best boy returns.

"Right. Well the kid's gotta learn." I say lowly. "No one should stay out on the streets."

"You're not kidding. I'm glad we took him in." Chris remarks, just when I turn out onto Route 90.

"Hey it was all you man. You saw 'em... and you did the right thing." I conclude, feeling my lips tug upward in appreciation.

"Yeah... I just hope nothing happens to the kid. This whole business is a lot for anyone to take in... not to mention his age."

"He's only sixteen." I grin. "I remember when we were that young. Those were some good times..."
I hear Chris chuckle in return down the line. "Now look where we are. My boy's getting married."

My grin don't falter, when I shake my head, before he adds, "but hey, I am happy for you man. I'm just sorry that... she's not..."

"Here?" I finish instead, my tone raw - my smile soon vanishing. I clear my throat. "Well she's somewhere out there." I say, scanning across the Detroit city lights ahead of me, before the phone line falls silent.

That is, until Chris breaks the temporary silence. "Look, you sure you don't want me coming with you?" He offers. I recognize the pinch of concern lingering behind his deep voice.

And my tongue meets my lips. "I'm sure, but I appreciate it man. And I better not make anymore stops," I peer down to the time on the stereo, "it's a quarter after seven. I still got hours to go."

"I gotcha. Alright, be safe brother." He states.

"Always." I drag huskily, before ending the call. I put my cell back into the pocket of my dark jeans as my other hand grips the cool leather of the steering wheel.

But the very moment I come up to a stop light only seconds after, my cell rings again. Plunging it out once more, I scan across the phone screen - resulting in annoyance to flood inside me. I lazily roll my dark brown eyes.

I answer the call, bringing the phone up to my ear again. "What?" I start sternly.

"Whoa, chillax." Ann starts over the line. "Just calling to inform you that I took Vic's car and it's back at the house again." She grumbles.

"Good. I'll call ya later Blondie." I say, but just before I go to end the call she speaks again.

"Wait!" She blurts, and I brush my tongue across my lip to hold back the groan. I listen.
"I also called to say that I left after I brought back your girl's car. Abby's tired and... I just need something to distract myself over all this and considering-"

"Hey..." I interject lowly.
My interjection only results in silence.

"Sorry." She breathes. "But yeah. I left. So if you need me just give me a call..." The call falls silent again, a moment. "Please do. OK call me when she's with you and to let me know she's safe..."

"I will." I claim, my tone low against the phone.

I hear Blondie release a sigh. "Well erm, just call me." She repeats, her usual piping voice rather wary.
"Alright." I respond. I tug at my lip, and suddenly speak again before she can hang up.
"Ann." I blurt myself. She sounds a 'hm' over the phone line.

I take in a cool breath, in return. "I'll find her." I reassure, my tone firm and certain as my foot presses down on the gas with a bit more pressure down Route 90.

--

8:50 p.m.

My finger is tapping incessantly on the steering wheel, as I focus ahead after two hours of being on the road - feeling the street lights flicker across my face as I pass them by. During the long drive, I couldn't avoid the thoughts I've eventually drowned myself into - about the unbearable absence of Victoria, and this entire taunting situation.

The targeting gang we had unfinished business with - they had to take her. He must have. Because he was the leader, right? He had somethin' about him ever since that very moment Victoria stepped up to confess killing the man in Puerto Rico.

What is his name?

I feel my blood turn cold, just at the memory of him standing in his leather jacket. And when he called my fiancé sweetie, in that lobby.

In fact, at this point, if anyone did take her, I'm kinda hoping it was him - it'll just give me one more reason to kill 'em.

I can almost hear his sick chuckle, thinking back at when it echoed down the lobby of East Wayward.
"We'll have her back by morning," I remember Leather Jacket, I called him, state. I remember the baneful anger that struck me that day - right after Beth took Victoria away from me, to their place, he had commanded.

Their place...

I feel my harsh grip tighten, on the leather steering wheel; my tan knuckles quickly shifting to the color white.

Thirty grand - in which I had for exchange. I remember driving recklessly, on the way to finally hand him his money - or maybe it's just the car's current speed now, on the empty road.

I recall pushing open his gang's hotel room door, thus being the last moment I saw 'em. My dark eyes contained a scorching fire when I located Leather Jacket across the room.
I remember the smirk forming on him - the smirk I always wanted to wipe off of his unfamiliar face.

How could I have forgotten? How did I forget the simple words I needed to gather - the information he was about to give me... the information I need now.

"Wow... to my surprise you came much earlier than I had anticipated." He began lowly, darkly. "I didn't even have the time to pay her a visit..." He frowned.
I gave him his money.
"Where is she?" I started abruptly - not obtaining the time for small talk.
"I'll give you the directions." He said, yet his dark brown eyes glimmered with anticipation.
"Just give me your name." He finished.

And I did.

Then I walked out. I left, with the words of his afterward directions in memory. And drove as fast as I could to get to Victoria.

Now, with the gas pedal just barely touching the flooring of the car, I quickly turn around; drifting onto the other side of the highway to get to 'their place', as I recall the leader say.

And I do so, remembering right exactly where it is.

---

It's been three dayyss!! But the update is here! I hope you loves enjoyed.

Thank you for reading!

The next chapter's POV is not decided quite yet, loves.

Vote, comment, share.

Much love!!

xx