22

Victoria

The air is thick, yet silence seems to be the only thing to linger. The car ride is awkward, quiet - and seated in the passenger seat of Beth's car, I steady my gaze on the road she turns onto.

But shortly after, I peer over to glance at her. Light ascending from the light poles aligning the dark street flickers across her ocean eyes - that are concentrated ahead - my pink lips part.

"This place you're taking me to, is it far?" I begin, breaking the inept silence between us. Beth's chest rises, as if a smooth breath intakes, before she breathes out an answer.

"No." She says, her soft voice calm.

I turn to face ahead; watching the luminous moonlight dance across the suburban area, while simultaneously contacting my face itself behind the clear windshield.

I swallow softly. "Do you know him?" I ask her, my tone low and curious, when I think back at her and Rio sharing an unrecognizable gaze earlier. Next to me, I can see that Beth doesn't glance over - neither do I glimpse in her direction.

The two of us are without words, focusing ahead. Only seconds pass, when she pulls into a wide desolate driveway.

"Yes." Beth finally responds, firmly. I peer my perceptive brown irises toward her, watching her put the car in park. Then she takes off her seatbelt, while I glance down at my perspiring hands.

"How?" I pipe in question, perching a brow.

"I'm here to take you somewhere, not to start conversation." Beth claims, pushing open her car door. I feel slightly taken aback, that is, before my pulse rushes.

My brown and untrusting eyes watch her make her way up the driveway, before I open the passenger door. And aggressively, I slam the door shut. I walk firmly up to her taller figure from the black heels she vestures - my jaw set.

"Hey," I raise my tone, earning for her to turn her back, finally facing me directly. I come to a stop in my steps, only a couple feet away from her.

"I want to know what I'm doing here. And preferably, before you can answer anything else, what that was back there with Rio..." I point back, my eyes warningly searching her own.

Beth's ocean colored irises are settled and calm on mine, as she parts her red lips.

"You're just staying here until he comes to get you, is all." She states, not exactly answering my question - before slowly turning her back again, walking up to the front porch of this unfamiliar place. The house is towering - three stories or two at the least.

A smooth breath I didn't know I held escapes between my barely parted lips, before I swallow where I'm stood - and follow behind her.

--

It's been an hour. One quiet, dull hour.

And he hasn't come yet, has he? Will he?

Yes. He said he would. And without a sliver of doubt, he has the thirty grand for exchange.

"A few of our people will be arriving here soon, to stand guard outside." The red head starts. When I turn to face her, in the large living room, she's glancing out the wide window.

In turn, I cock a brow. "You must have big plans between you and I for this to call for guards..." I state rather question, watching her perceptively. Then, she turns around.