Chapter 4

~~LEAH

I rubbed my cheek which it burned from my father’s hand; I made it down to the stairs seeing Tate’s shadow appear in the distance. I shook off the stinging pain searing my cheek before Tate would’ve recognized it.

        “Everything okay?” he asked where I smiled showing that there was no pain in my eyes or face but I could see in his eyes he knew something.

        “Yeah don’t worry about it. So this basement looks like it’s the gates of hell, so to speak.” I exclaimed hoping to change the topic before he could ask me anything, I ran my fingertips against the walls feeling a lot of energy within. The tips of my fingers burned from all of the energy, it was too much to take oddly. The energy began to singe my hand, where I quickly winced my hand away from the wall. “So how many dead people do you think are trapped here?”

        “My guess? Seven maybe more. I guess if your father wants to start with anyone it has to be the Montgomery’s.” he offered where he sat in the chair that was randomly there, the whispers began to grow louder in the area. I was trying to hide that the voices were screaming in my ears, I couldn’t afford to expose my secret to anyone. Tate seemed to rock back and forth in the chair, I continued to scan with my eyes seeing two doors shut and locked up tight.

        “Any idea what is behind these doors?” I asked turning my focus feeling a horrible chill entering the room surround me like a dark blanket. I couldn’t shake the ominous feelings I was getting and the whispers began to grow louder causing my ears to throb.

        “The one on your left is said to be Dr. Charles Montgomery’s in house clinic. The other one is well no one really is able to figure it out, it’s been sealed up for years.” He exclaimed where I walked away from the doors to see Tate looked more ominous than usual but somehow I figured there was a lot of spirits in the house. I traced the tips of my fingers against the wall behind Tate feeling the surge of anger and almost like evil running through me. Something bad must have happened here because I never felt this energy this strongly in the other houses. “So it must be hard for you to have to live in these creepy houses, dealing with all of these spirits and really never having a normal childhood.” I turned to look at Tate who was still sitting in the chair in front of me.

        “It sounds almost like you know what it’s like.” I smirked which he sort of chuckled towards my statement. “I guess you can say my life hasn’t been exactly normal. Nothing about my life has ever been normal; living here and living there. Never having any friends to talk with and always being considered the freaky girl who lives in Haunted houses.”

        “Well you and I are in the same boat. I live next to this house remember? Anyway you got a friend now if you want me as a friend.” Tate smiled where I returned with one of my own heading back around to face him.

        “So Tate, tell me something about yourself? Anything?” I asked sitting on the floor while Tate started to rock back and forth in the chair again. I stared deep into his dark brown eyes they felt hypnotic when I looked into them. Then the whispers that I thought were starting to drown into silence grew louder and louder in my ears. I could barely make a sentence out but I figured only few words in each of the sentences the ghosts were trying to tell me. It felt almost like a warning but I guess I was use to them trying to get me and the rest of my family out of the house. Though these chills crept down my spine, I could feel the presences of ghost especially where one materialized right behind Tate. I can only see her and she kept whispering something incoherently at me, I could only make out a few words that sent an electric shock through my spine.

         “Murderer….Demon….Evil….” the ghost whispered before vanishing from my view and when I looked at Tate I swore I could see his dark brown eyes were now pitch black almost like death was looking me in the face.