forty eight - thoughts

NOW THAT JULES had stormed out of the house, she had no other choice but to walk to school with the slight hope that the school bus would pass by her and she would be able to hitch a ride.

Her pride and anger wouldn't allow her to stay around her parents as of the moment. Jules couldn't believe that her own dads called her a misfit.

She shook her head as she stomped on the path. The morning was a bit chilly and the girl regretted not carrying something warmer as she walked.

"Stupid society," the girl muttered under her breath, kicking a stray rock in the process as she positioned her backpack not to slide from her shoulders.

Jules couldn't understand. What did it matter if she wanted to be in drama club?  Her thoughts ran haywire at the possible consequences of her pursuing her desire. Being isolated and judged was definitely on top of the list. Being bullied, perhaps? 

She let out a small sigh. As much as she was frustrated, she was still glad to have found a place where she sort of belonged. The Regeheter server, with people who questioned the world's ways just like she did. The mere thought calmed her down.

Just then, Jules heard a car beep sound behind her. She turned and saw Finn sticking his head out of the backseat window.

"Hey, Jules," he beamed at her, green eyes still emerald as ever. "Need a ride?"

Jules couldn't stop the smile that slowly formed on her face. She couldn't also explain why there was a warm fuzzy feeling fluttering in her belly once she saw Finn.

"Sure," she said as she headed to the car.

Finn opened the door for her and scooted over to the other side. "Morning, Jules," he said once Jules had closed the door and strapped her seatbelt on.

"Morning," Jules breathed, feeling as though some sort of weight had lifted off of her. She sighed at how warm the car was as compared to the chilly weather outside.

"This is my grandpa," Finn said as he motioned to the driver.

"Hello," Jules greeted politely. Finn's grandpa acknowledged her greeting with a mere wave before focusing back on the road.

"How come you're not riding with your dads today?" asked Finn, out of curiosity.

Jules tensed up before she met his gaze. "You know my dads?"

"I'm observant."

She shrugged. "It's a long story," Jules directed her gaze out the window. 

She expected Finn to probe some more, but he instead said, "What's important is that you're alright?"

Her shoulders relaxed after he voiced the question. Her insides warmed at the concern laced in Finn's voice. At least he didn't dwell on the subject of her dads and Jules was very grateful for that.

"Yeah," she said. "I guess."

~*~*~*~*