nine - house

JULES CROSSED the field hurriedly and made her way towards the playground, where Bryce's mom would come and pick her up. She arrived and found the other kids playing house. Her eyes scanned the area in the hopes of spotting Bryce. 

"Jules!" a voice called out. She turned and saw Bryce heading towards her, fresh from practice no doubt.

Bryce caught up to her. "Wanna play house before my mom comes?"

She nodded and both of them joined the rest.

"We want in," Jules spoke up for the both of them once they reached the rest of the kids.

A girl named Zhang perked up. "OK. We'll have to change the couples, though." She placed a hand on her chin thoughtfully as her eyes strayed among her peers.

"Hmm," Zhang hummed. "Let's see. Let Bryce and Dylan be the daddies this time, and Jules and Alicia be the mommies. The rest stay the same."

There was a series of complaints from Dylan who still wanted to be the kid, but apart from him, all the others agreed to Zhang's suggestion.

Jules looked over to Bryce as he went over to Dylan. A frown made its way on her face. She looked over to Alicia too, who wore a nonchalant expression on her face.

"What if Bryce and I become the dad and mom?"

Jules' eyes widened as she realized what words had come out of her mouth before she could think twice. Her throat tightened after the statement and she cautiously looked up at the rest.

Looks of disbelief were thrown at her. Jules grip on the strap of her bag tightened as she glanced at Bryce. He wore a surprised look, with a hint of concern in it.

"Uh . . . I mean . . ." she started to say.

"Are you crazy?!" Zhang exclaimed. "That's so weird and disgusting."

"Why would you even suggest that?" another asked, as the rest joined in uttering their disbelief of Jules suggestion.

Jules looked down, her face flaming up. She really wanted the ground to open up and swallow her. What the hell was she thinking? Why did she even say that out loud?

Jules never thought that the moment of scorning from her peers would end, but it did when she heard a car honk.

"Jules! Bryce! Get in the car, dears. It's time!"

Jules turned around and was glad to see Bryce's mom in the carpark.