thirty seven - unexpect

I apologize for this super late update! I travelled and the net was almost non existent!

*-*-*  

FOR A MOMENT, Jules could not believe her ears. A deep frown was etched on her face once Bryce's words were out.

Everything surrounding her seemed to slow down and blur as she watched Mason's face morph into one of utter confusion and slowly change into vivid surprise then uncontrolled anger.

Mason stepped back from Bryce. "What did you just say?"

Bryce, whose gaze was still on Jules, spoke. "She didn't force anything on me. I'm the one who kissed her."

Another wave gasps washed through the crowd, along with murmurs.

Jules stared back at Bryce and revelled in his warm mocha gaze. The stare that they shared made her heart skip a beat, but fear began coursing through her as she saw Mason from the corner of her eye.

Her body lurched and she threw herself between Mason and Bryce, just as the former was about to pack a punch at his unsuspecting boyfriend.

"No!" Jules said in Mason's face as she held his raised arm at the wrist. "Please, Mason. Enough."

Mason's blue eyes pierced through her soul, and he jerked his arm away from her grip. "Don't touch me."

The bell rang, signalling the start of the next class. The crowd of students surrounding them began shuffling away from the scene.

Jules turned to Bryce. She wanted to ask if he was alright, but couldn't get the words out. Bryce merely stared at her.

"What was that?"

Jules whipped her head towards Finn, realizing he'd spoken and that she had almost forgotten he was there.

Finn gave her a sceptical look, obviously waiting for an answer. She stood frozen.

Finn sighed and bit his lip. "Walk with me, then."

Jules widened her eyes, and now it was her turn to give him a gaze full if scepticism.

"C'mon," Finn jerked his head and turned away from the duo. "Let's go."

Jules clutched at her books and lingered her look upon Bryce. He gave a small nod. "I'm fine. I'll see you later?"

She didn't reply. Instead, she skipped to Finn and cleared her throat.

"You're . . . not gonna ask about . . . what Mason said back there?"

Finn's gaze was on her. "Not now."

"Why?"

"Because I already told you that I would walk with you to class," he said. "And, for now, I intend on doing that and just focus on the moment, Jules."

Even though his words unsettled her, she managed a small smile.