29 | Bad Emotions | rune

Start from the beginning

    "Yeah, Jack," called another voice, oddly pleased. "That sort of language could land you a stint in jail."

    Jack rounded on the gardener, the guards straining to contain him. "Get off it, flower boy. Or are ya so self-absorbed that you've failed to realize that Belline is gone?"

    The two glared at each other. But then they trained those glares on the Prince.

    Eika stood before Prince Rune and said, "I think we have all noticed her absence. Let His Highness explain what is happening before we jump to conclusions. You will," her voice rose to speak over Jack's protests, "let him explain. Please, Your Highness."

    Prince Rune found it easier to look at Eika's open expression than the furious face of the alimae. Working to control his voice, he said, "I have sent the maiden home, back to Earth. As I am sure you have heard her insist, it is where she belongs. It was her wish to return, and so I granted it."

    He could have sworn something cracked, and he assumed it to be his heart.

    "Liar," Jack clipped again, pushing against the guards. It was seven to one, and still he managed to move all of them.

"Perhaps," Eika coaxed, "you can divulge your motivations for granting her request."

    "Because." Now he found it impossible to look at anyone, and he stared fixedly at the ground. "Because I love her."

    The silence was suffocating, and the Prince heard ringing in his ears. No one moved, no one so much as breathed.

    "Then," Jack said, "why didn't you let her say goodbye?"

    "It was another desire of hers. She said it would be too hard to say goodbye." The Prince whispered the final word.

    "Thank you, Your Highness. Come, let's go back inside." Eika encouraged everyone into the castle.

    Prince Rune glanced sidelong. "Why didn't you go with them?"

    Kit frowned. "Forgive my forwardness, Your Highness. But I — I didn't expect you to confess — to even be capable of—"

    "I thought the same."

    The gardener dipped into a bow. "For such selfless actions, I renew my pledge of loyalty to the crown."

    The Prince clapped Kit on the shoulder, saying, "Don't."

.

Supper had never been so tense.

    By the way his father continued to glance in his direction, Prince Rune knew he had learned of the maiden's departure. Prince Rune also knew his father would just send him pity, and he already hadn't an appetite.

    "Son," King Hadeth murmured, folding his hands.

    He closed his eyes. "Please, Father."

    "May I say one thing?" When his son said nothing, he continued, "My son, I am so proud of you."

    The Prince slammed his hands on the table, making his father and the servants jump. He rose from his seat, feeling tall and lanky and cheated. "Abolish the Competition."

    "What? Son, I can't—"

    "Abolish. The. Competition," Prince Rune said through clenched teeth, glaring. Before his father could say anything, he stormed from the dining hall.

    He could hear Eika plead, "Let him be. Let him grieve, Your Majesty."

    Anger coursed through his veins, hot and solid. He was angry at Eternity — at the monarchy — for establishing the Bride Competition and Groom Matching in the first place. Angry at the maiden for abandoning him. But most of all, angry at himself for letting yet another someone-special slip from his grasp.    

    It was his fault. Again.

    Without ceremony, he leaped onto Ryzel's back, frightening the herd. He dug his heels into the tsulin's hinds, and together they took off, the world a blur around them.

    They stopped at the southern edge, at the mouth of the Crystal Caves. Prince Rune slid off Ryzel and sat down forcefully on a rock. Then, he released eight blooms' worth of hurt and pain and blame with a great yell that collapsed into a sob that wracked his body and left him aching, ill, and empty.

a/n: i know this last line in this chapter is super duper sad, but omg i honestly love it so much! it strikes me as so poignant

thank you for all your support throughout this story! continue to comment, vote, add to your libraries, etc. it means the world to me.

as always,

hugs :3