Episode 37 - I Didn't See It

As each member's jaw dropped, Gongchan reached up to the sides of his head and no longer felt his own human ears, but wolf ones instead. "Oh no! W-What am I going to do? It's too early for my transformation to start!"

     With a disappointed sigh, Shinwoo answered with a quivering voice, "If you're transforming now, Gongchan, you won't be able to perform. And you'll be too dangerous to be around any of us. It's best for everyone if you leave while you still can."

     Jinyoung nodded slowly, agreeing with Shinwoo even though it stung. Baro and Sandeul, on the other hand, wanted to protest, but remained silent. They knew there wasn't much they could do.

     "But..." Gongchan pleaded, "I could try to delay it from happening! As soon as the songs are done, I'll run offstage and no one would see me until tomorrow when I'm back to normal!" Gongchan's eyes brimmed with tears, thinking about their dream—his dream ruined. "I promise I won't hurt anyone! I-I know I can control myself. Please, guys... Believe me and let me perform with you."

     The other four all looked to each other, wanting to take the risk... But was it too risky?

     Baro left the room momentarily and returned with a fedora that matched Gongchan's outfit perfectly.

     Sniffing as his tears cleared away, Gongchan was in shock to see the hat, but tried it on anyway. It covered both ears, and no one would suspect a thing. "I'm impressed, Baro. I didn't even think of getting a hat."

     Baro crossed his arms with a confident smirk. "Someone had to be prepared."

     "Are you also the honest one?" sneered Jinyoung, spotting the dangling tag that had a large price marked on it. "Please tell me you paid for it."

     Baro lost his confident expression as all disapproving eyes fell on him. "Fine. You want honesty? I didn't pay for it."

     Before Jinyoung could scold Baro, Shinwoo held him back. "We don't have time to fix Baro's mistake. The taxi should be arriving right now. Let's hurry up and leave."

     "I really am sorry," Baro murmured sheepishly with a hand behind his head. "I did it when we were shopping for outfits. I thought the hat would come in handy, but I knew we didn't have enough money for it. That'll be the last time I shoplift. I swear."

     "It's okay," Gongchan gave him a slight smile before seeing it in the mirror, adjusting it slightly. He tucked the price tag under the brim. "We'll return it after the performance. But for now, let's not let another issue stand in our way. I'm already anxious as it is."

     Baro nodded, still stinging with guilt since he knew everyone was trying to bury their disappointment with him.

     "I don't mean to sound redundant, but the taxi should be outside waiting for us right now," Shinwoo's shoes were already tied and his belongings packed in his small backpack. He tapped his watch impatiently at the door.

     "We're coming, we're coming!" Sandeul scrambled out of the apartment on his crutches with Jinyoung following close behind.

     "Aishh, don't run!" Jinyoung shouted, ready to catch him.

     "Gomawo," Gongchan said to Baro as they were finally ready and putting on their shoes. "Even though you fell back into your old habits, it still makes me happy that you thought of me."

     Baro looked up from his black sneaker to reply, but Shinwoo interrupted by kicking them both. "At this pace, we're going to be late! Continue this love-fest in the taxi. Out!"

     Gongchan and Baro held back their laughter as they exited the apartment complex before Shinwoo locked up. The three reunited with Sandeul and Jinyoung with his guitar case who stood near the road, confused. No cars were in sight.

     "Was the taxi supposed to be here by now?" Jinyoung questioned, scratching his head. "Shinwoo, you called for one, right?"

     "Ahni, I texted them," Shinwoo replied, taking out his phone. He gulped nervously, which made everyone wonder what he saw on his phone. "I texted them the wrong address."