Chapter 30

I thought she would either yell at me or laugh at me for what I had said to her about me and Adon. Instead she kept her face seriously steady and listened to each and every word I spoke out. I patiently waited for her response after narrating the whole story. Instead of yelling or laughing she caught my hand and pulled me into a hug which I have it back. "I can understand your heart my dear. I can understand what your mind is trying to conclude. I can understand what your tongue long to say. I can understand that you are in love with our travel guide." This time I pulled her into a hug.

"You are unbelievable. You know that?" My words nearly chocked due to the tears swelling up in my eyes.

"Of course I know. I am unbelievable but you are fantastic." We both laughed at each other. It felt so good to be back in each other's arms. Suddenly was when I thought about Adon. Our last meeting which had been a complete disaster.

"What's it?" Lav asked sensing my unpleasant mood.

"I want to tell you something."

"Sure."
______________________________________

"I don't know what to say." Lav listened as seriously as always to the whole incident that had happened between me and Adon. "Unlike rest of whatever happened in your life I was not here with you. I have not witnessed any of this on my own. So I don't know what decision to take in this or what advice to give." I understood her helplessness feeling sorry for her because of me.

"It's ok Lav. I know what to do. It's not a big deal. You don't have to burn your head anymore in my matters." Her eyes snapped at me.

" Is that what you think I meant. Is that what you had thought about me." She pulled out her hair bush out of her ponny tail in frustration. "I could have forgotten about you the moment you left our land. Still I couldn't get my mind off you. Every night I used to cry thinking about you. Do you know how much your absence have cost me. Do you know how I felt when I went to school for the past two weeks without you, seeing your usual seat in our class empty. Do you know any of this!" The last words came out a bit louder that I almost feared the guards would soon come running through the doors. More tears rolled down my face.

"I know, Lav. I know." I didn't knew what to say except for these. "I didn't mean to say any of this. Please forgive me."

"What the hell!!" Lav screamed. "The never-known-princess is bending down in front of me?" She dramatically rolled her eyes. "Jesus, just kill me." This is the thing about Lav. You cannot predict what she is upto or what comes out of her mouth any moment.

"You have no way changed. You know!"

"Sure ." We exchanged grins.

I offered Lav to have a look around the palace and the nearby places. I somehow managed to get Mia out of her extreme busy schedules that day to get join with us with the permission of the king. Anyway he was not that happy to offerMia so much freedom beyond that can be given to any maid. So I decided to do something on it. For that I have to wait for the next sunrise. Mia came running through the corridor to meet us at the great hall. I was currently explaining the stories of the Fortune Tree to Lav.

"Beth..." she greeted me in a hug. "I am so glad and thankful to get out of today's duties." I wondered what have made her say that. Actually she is not a kind of person who would love to skip their responsibilities. Seeing my confused expression she said. "Today I had the duty at Lady Melba's room." Ok so that explained everything.

"Come on. First we can go to the library." I pulled Lav past me. She stopped at each and every step to gaze at the palace corners with mouth wide open. Both I have to pull her from the front and Mia had to push from the back.

Finally we reached the library doors. The doors were locked from outside. "How do you know the way to the library?" Mia asked with questioning look.

"I had been here once. No it's like I was taken here while looking for you and Adon." My eyes were searching the surrounding to get a glimpse of Grace, the library attender.

"You were taken?" Mia asked. "I don't get it. By whom?"

"Mmmm. Jacques."

"Jacques? Why did you go with him?"

"Well." I saw something strange in her eyes. Anger. "He offered to take me to the library when I felt lost without any of you around. He was in only there when I needed someone for help that time." Pupil in her eyes shimmered. "Wait do you know him?"

"Everyone knows about him." Suddenly the mood was changed again. The past anger was replaced on her beautiful face.

"What do you mean?" Poor Lav, moments ago she was amazed by the palace and now she was glancing from me to Mia and then back.

"Did he tell you anything more about him?"

I thought for a while. Recalling the time I had spend with him. "No. We didn't get a chance to interact much. He showed me the way to the library and then disappeared. And I saw him today also. I think whenever I get lost on my way he seems to appear there. To help me out." I narrated the story of meeting Jaques while coming back from the lake. That left me to explain the whole thing that had happened between me and Adon moments ago.

"I am so sorry, Beth. I didn't knew these things. I thought you both were going happy." Mia placed a comforting arm on my shoulder.

"Beth." It was Lav. Her eyes were full of love. "I don't know any good words to say at the moment." With that she hugged me close. Tears sprouted from my eyes. From the corner I noticed Mia too wiping the water droplets that ran down her cheeks.

I am so happy to be gifted with such two loving souls. "Beth." It was Mia.

"Yes. I am sorry." I wiped under my eyes. "I--I always get easily emotional."

"I want you to be very careful." I looked at her. "I mean it Beth. You are new to this world and still unaware of what is going on around." Not only me but Lav was also keenly looking at Mia. "Not only me but anyone from here who has concern over you would recommend you to stay away from Jaques. And I can say that neither the king nor Adon will be interested in hearing about your company with Jaques." I had already sensed something wrong with that guy. So I decided to ask.

"You tell me everything but not the important one. Why should I stay away from him. And why are you all speaking distant to him. You are still hiding something from me. Who is he?"

Mia looked straight at me. "Lady Melba's son. Peter."