30

"What happened exactly?" Max asked.

"Wesley had experimented with shifter drugs. He came home high that night and blamed me for not getting a promotion in his gang because his own girlfriend wouldn't let him mate her. I couldn't follow through with it. Honestly, I had been thinking about running off with Rebecca not long before that night. Wesley had become more reckless with mine and Rebecca's lives when his gang came around. I told him that Rebecca, and I were moving to a safer place. He attacked me, and Rebecca called the police. I was certain I would die when his claws came out."

"How did she know to call?" Max asked, his face was pale with shock.

"Her jaguar told her to call," Annaleigh explained, and he sucked in a surprised breath.

"I was just as shocked, but she is adamant about saying her jaguar told her to call the police," Annaleigh shared, Max smiled and laughed.

"She really is a smarty pants!" Max exclaimed and smiled bigger when Rebecca came back into the kitchen carrying the game of Parcheesi.

"Can we play now?" she asked, looking at all three adults who were sitting in front of empty plates.

"Five minutes Poppet, we need to clean up dinner. Can you please help me clear the table?" Annaleigh asked scooting back her chair, Connor stayed her with a hand on her shoulder.

"You made dinner, let me clean up with Rebecca." He kissed the top of her head.

"Thank you, sweetie."

"Anything for you my love." Connor and Rebecca went to work clearing the plates. Max helped them get everything into the kitchen and came back to sit across from her.

"You look happy," he commented.

"I am happy, Connor is my one and only. I shouldn't have tried to use Wesley to fill the void," she sighed.

"Then you wouldn't have Rebecca," he pointed out, and she nodded her agreement.

"She is one of the few good things to come out of my relationship with your brother."

"One of?"

"I like you too." She patted his hand, and he smiled.

"I like you too Annaleigh like a big sister."

"Haha, I've never had any siblings." She smiled at him and he relaxed in his chair.

"How is LA?" she asked and watched as his eyes darkened.

"I'm planning on getting out after this one last job. I only took it because it was protecting you and Rebecca."

"Where would you go?" she asked, picking at the tablecloth.

"I like it here. Would you be okay with me moving here so I can see Becca?" he asked, Annaleigh smiled and nodded her agreement.

"Rebecca and I would love to have you close by, but will you really be able to leave the pride?"

"I already spoke with Roger, he has given me his blessing to make a new start. With my parents moving to Alaska and Wes going off the deep end, I need a new place to live. I cannot walk around LA for fear of one of his gang coming after me since I am taking out Jorge," Max explained. Annaleigh nodded her understanding. She had hated Wesley's gang and how all the men had touched her inappropriately.

"Then you should move here as soon as possible. Connor and his sister Madison should know if any homes are up for sale or know who you can get in touch with."

"How am I supposed to afford a home? I have no skills."

"You are an excellent hunter. You enjoy being outside. Why not find a job as a park ranger?" Annaleigh suggested.

"We have a huge national park right here in Oak Woods. While you are training and in between paychecks, I am sure you can stay here in one of the spare bedrooms," Annaleigh offered, Max shook his head.

"You are newly mated and soon to be married. I don't want to overhear anything..." he trailed off and Annaleigh caught his drift, blushing furiously.

"We are all done! Can we play now?" Rebecca asked walking back in with Connor on her heels. He was carrying a pot of freshly brewed coffee and a chocolate cake Annaleigh had made the other day.

"Did you make the cake?" Max asked, eyeing it with keen interest.

"Yes, I did."

"I love your cake!" Max exclaimed and laughed when Connor handed him an extra-large slice of cake. They set up the game board and played several games and to Max and Rebecca's utter disappointment Connor and Annaleigh won every game.

"How are you so good?" Max demanded as they put away the game.

"I don't know. I've always been good at board games. It was one of the few things my parents did with me when they were alive." She shrugged and pushed aside the sad memories of her parents who were no longer with her.

"I'm sorry Annaleigh." Max gave her a gentle hug and swung around to give Rebecca a hug.

"I will see you in the morning for the fair Becca," Max told his niece, and she smiled.

"Good, I want you to take me on all the rides because Mama can't."

"Why can't I?" Annaleigh asked her daughter, surprised by her declaration.

"You have to help Connor," Rebecca announced, and Annaleigh shook her head.

"No, we will stay together as a family. Uncle Max can come with us but you will not go off on your own."

"But..."

"No buts! We will be a family tomorrow at the fair, no arguments Rebecca Josephine Crenshaw." Annaleigh put all her authority into her tone and Rebecca shrunk down. She hated getting stern with her daughter, but she wanted them to stay together tomorrow so Rebecca and Connor could bond more. She wanted to feel one hundred percent confident going into her marriage, that the two of them would get along as well as any parent and child.

"Yes Mama," Rebecca replied sullenly.

"Say goodnight to Uncle Max and go up and get into your pajamas please," Annaleigh asked her in a soft voice. She felt the exhaustion of the day take its toll on her body and she slumped in her seat. Connor was by her side in seconds feeling her pulse and checking her temperature.

"I am fine. I just overworked today." She pushed his hands away gently.

"Goodnight Uncle Max," Rebecca hugged him and then went upstairs, quietly casting glances at Annaleigh.

A/N: Please let me know how you like the story, any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated. Don't forget to vote!