16

"How many rooms are you planning on painting?" Connor asked once they were on their way to the hardware store.

"All of them. That house hasn't seen a coat of paint in the four years since my grandmother passed. My bet is she didn't paint it either in her final years. I also want to scrape off the peeling wallpaper, it is so outdated. The house really needs an update in the kitchen and bathrooms, but that is going to have to wait until I can save up for the renovation. I kind of want to add more space to the house, maybe an extra room in the back as a guest space with another full bathroom. The house only has two-and-a-half baths and I remember it being hard to share when so many of us crashed here. I want to turn it into a larger home for more kids to come," she explained, her mind a million miles away as she thought about everything the house needed.

"If you are thinking of renovations, you cannot go wrong with Mike's construction company, they do remodel and additions to homes. Remember Mike O'Brian?" Connor asked he was talking about a wolf shifter who they'd been friends with as teens.

"He took over for his dad?" Annaleigh asked she remembered Mike being a huge goofball and always making them laugh.

"Yep, he is Alpha of his wolf pack now too." Connor pulled into the parking lot and looked over at Annaleigh. She had so much on her plate with Rebecca, a new job, and home to renovate. He didn't want to keep pressuring her about being his mate, he knew one day they would get there and he will help with anything and everything to make sure she knew she could rely on him. He knew being human, Annaleigh didn't have an animal telling her what he knew, that they were meant to be.

Just take and mark her, she will come to understand. His bear commented, and he mentally shook his head. No, she doesn't deserve that kind of treatment, not after the small comment Rebecca let slip. Annaleigh needs a gentle touch. His bear grumbled but agreed.

"Is he still a goof?" She wanted to know, Connor grabbed a cart and laughed,

"He still likes to make people laugh, but he is very serious when it comes to taking care of his pack," Connor assured her. She smiled and helped push the cart over to the paint counter.

"Do you know what colors you want for the house?" Connor asked, looking around at all the paint choices. He wasn't sure how she would choose from the hundreds of colors he could see.

"Yes, I want a light peach for the living room and kitchen area, the den will be a light bluish-gray and the guest rooms will be taupe. Rebecca's room is going to be mostly blue, and my room is going to be a rose color. I finally get to paint how I like and am taking full advantage." Annaleigh gave him an excited look and bounced between the colors, choosing the ones she liked the best. He leaned on the cart and watched with a building sense of love for her. She truly loved being artistic. He remembered she had a knack for drawing.

"Do you still draw?" He asked, he noticed she tensed and turned to look at him.

"Not much, I haven't had the time since Rebecca was born. I've spent a lot of my time doing research papers and getting published in education publications," Annaleigh explained, Connor could see she missed it. Her body language said it all.

"So now you can focus on painting and Rebecca, being a classroom teacher again," Connor remarked, and she nodded, her eyes showing she was thinking over his comment.

"True, but Rebecca comes first and sometimes she has nightmares."

"And that stops you from painting?"

"Sometimes, I don't sleep all that great most nights. Last night was the first time in four years I've slept without being awoken at least twice."