6

Connor carried the next two boxes up into Rebecca's room and smiled, the little girl was sitting on the floor sorting her first box of clothing.

"Do you want me to open all the boxes as I bring them in?" Connor asked, and she nodded, he noticed she was very observant but quiet.

"Did you know this room used to belong to your mom?" he asked, he wanted to form a bond with Rebecca. She was a very important part of Annaleigh's life and that made her important to him.

"Yes, she said she stayed here in the summers with Great Grandma Betty," Rebecca replied in a very soft voice.

"I had a great time with your mom. We would spend our days walking through the woods and finding caves to explore."

"She hiked through the woods?" Rebecca gasped her eyes wide.

"Yes, your mother loved being outside and reading more than anything in the world. There was one time her grandma couldn't find her and sent Madison and me to go look for her. Know where I found her?"

"No, where?" Rebecca was holding onto his every word, she even stepped closer to him. He knelt so they could talk more on her level.

"She was at the top of a tree reading one of her favorite stories of all time, Harry Potter."

"NO WAY!" Rebecca shook her head in disbelief.

"Mama never went outside when we were in California, always told me it was too hot and we would burn our skin. Daddy didn't like it when she read and threw away all her books, she had a secret box we kept my books in under my bed." Rebecca shared more with him than she would ever realize. How could Annaleigh have lost her love for reading and being outside?

"Where is your daddy now?" Connor coaxed, using a soft calm voice.

"The police took him away after he hit Mama. I called the police," Rebecca explained and Connor dropped to the floor.

"Your daddy hit Mama?" Connor repeated, he couldn't believe what he was being told.

"I only saw it happen one time. She was on the floor and he was standing over her holding a large black stick and his claws were out. When he hit her she cried, I called the police because my teacher told me to always call for help when a bully is bothering someone you love."

"That was very brave of you. Did you know I am a police officer? So if you ever need help, you call me, okay?" Connor patted her head, and she smiled up at him.

"You should get back to unpacking and I should get back to helping your mama." Connor stood and watched Rebecca immediately go back to sorting clothing with a serious expression on her face. He and his bear were having a hard time staying calm, someone had beaten their mate. There was so much he didn't know about the fifteen years they'd spent apart and he wanted Annaleigh to share everything with him.

"Annaleigh, I finished bringing boxes to Rebecca's room. Do you want me to take yours up too?" Connor asked, walking down the stairs, he stopped up short when Annaleigh was arguing with the delivery driver.

"Your company told me it would be an even four thousand dollars for delivery and unpacking of the truck. What do you mean it will be almost double that?" she shot at the stout man, her arms were crossed and she was glaring at him.

"Sorry sweetheart, gas prices were more than expected," the man grubbed shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Bull shit! They were not. I put gas in my car the same as you did the truck. I kept an eye on diesel prices and they were at an all-time low for this time of year. If need be, I will call your boss and let him know you are trying to skim money off the top of his operation," she threatened, and the man began to sweat.

"No need to do that, I'll take the money the old cheapskate quoted ya," he grumbled. Annaleigh handed him a check and humphed at him. Connor smiled, that was the Annaleigh he remembered, she took shit from no one. It looked like her loser boyfriend hadn't beaten that out of her. He watched the driver walk off grumbling about women too smart for their own good.

"That was amazing," Connor announced, coming out of his spot by the stairs.

"Oh, that, uh, um thanks." She blushed, and he laughed pulling her in for a hug.

"I've missed your spunk, does Rebecca love to read like you did as a kid? I noticed she had three boxes labeled R books for her room," Connor probed.

"Yes, she is already reading at a first grade reading level and I am having a hard time keeping up with her. She is way too smart for her own good," Annaleigh smiled.

"You mean like her mother who skipped two grade levels?"

"Exactly and look what that did for me? I ended up pregnant at twenty-six, my parents had been dead for four years and my grandmother was so sick she never knew Rebecca," Annaleigh sighed. What was it about Connor that made her share everything? He had always had that pull on her, she wanted him to know everything about Wesley her ex-boyfriend and how hard life had been for her since they'd parted fifteen years ago.

"Annaleigh, Rebecca shared a bit about her father with me. Do you think we could sit down and you tell me about him and if I need to worry about him showing up and causing trouble for you in this town?" Connor stepped closer to her, and she took a step back. He kept coming until he backed her into the wall and his hands rested on her hips. 

A/N: Please let me know how you like the story, any suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated. Don't forget to vote!