What the hell is she doing here?

I walk down the stairs to a sight I'm not used to anymore. My mom watching tv with a cup of coffee in her hand. I stop half way and take it all in. She's home and safe, or is she? Is she safe if I'm here. What if I'm not strong enough? What if I don't have this under control? I shake my head and take a deep breath, I exhale these thoughts. It's fine. I make my way down the rest of the stairs. 

"Good morning mom! I'm going to see Ethan. Need anything while I'm out?" I ask with a smile. 

"No honey, I'm okay. If I need anything I'll take care of it. You have fun." She responds also with a smile.

"Are you sure? I don't care to get anything for you if you just let me know." I try again. She smiles a half smile and walks to me. 

"Ember, I am okay. You don't have to watch over me. I know what happened was all very scary for you. I understand, but I am your mother. It is my job to protect you. I can't be afraid to leave this house for the rest of my life in fear that something bad will happen, and neither can you. That is no way to live. So please, promise me you won't spend the rest of my life and yours worrying about me?" 

"I promise." I smile and give her a hug. 

"Okay, now tell Ethan I said to take good care of you." She picks up my keys off the counter and hands them to me.

"Will do." I say as I walk towards the door. 

"I love you." I hear her say from behind me and I turn to her.

"I love you, mom." I open the door and walk out. 

-

I walk up to the door and Ethan opens it before I can knock. I can tell by the look on his face that something is off.

"Before you come in, don't freak out." He says and I'm already freaking out.

"It's about time the guest of honor arrives." A familiar face appears next to Ethan. Liliana. I furrow my eyebrows at Ethan as a wave of anger washes over me.

"Ember calm down." Ethan says.

"What the hell is she doing here?" I ask him.

"Woah! Feisty one." She giggles.

"Ember come inside and sit down please." Ethan motions for me to walk in and I step inside, giving Liliana the best go to hell look I possibly can. 

I take a seat on the couch, and try to fight the urge to kill her. She's a horrible person and I know there can be no good reason for why she's here. 

"Ember, there is something I need you to do." Ethan sits in front of me.

"What is it?"

"Julian sent Liliana to get you. He needs you to make his brothers and sisters immortal."

"And why the hell would I help him do that?" 

"Because your life depends on it." Liliana blurts.

"Like you care." I give a sarcastic laugh.

"You're right, I don't. I just need something from Ethan. So, for him I'm willing to make sure you stay alive." She responds.

"Oh, how kind of you." I roll my eyes. 

"Ember." Ethan interrupts. 

"Why are you so calm about this?" I ask.

"I'm not calm but I'm willing to do whatever I have to do to make sure you stay alive. So, please cooperate and it will all work out." He sighs.

"So, we're just supposed to give him everything he wants?" I ask raising my voice.

"We don't have a choice. There is nothing we can do to stop him." Ethan says.

"There has to be something. Nature has to find a balance." I shake my head in disbelief. 

"There is nothing. God, is she always this stubborn?" Liliana turns to Ethan.

"I don't care to listen to you. You've spent years as his little bitch, doing whatever he asks because you're scared. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me." I give a snarky attitude. 

"Okay! Stop, that's enough. Both of you. Ember, Julian is already immortal. Just go through with it and we'll figure something out afterwards, but as of right now this is the only option we have. It's hard enough having to put you in this situation. There's nothing I can do. I'm powerless against him. End of discussion." He sighs as he walks away.