Me

I jumped up at the sound of my phone ringing. I checked the time to see that it was 1:30am.
"Who the hell?" I whispered to myself and grabbed my phone. It's my mom.

"Hey, mom." I answered sleepily getting out of bed.

"Hey, honey!" She sounded happy.

"Why are you calling so late?" I whispered trying to leave my room without Ethan waking up.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I forgot I was in California. It's only 11:30 here," She laughed, "but I was calling to let you know I fly home tomorrow. So we can finally get to see each other! Just me and you for a week. I'm all yours for a week!" I could feel her smile through the phone.

"Are you serious?" I asked not believe what I was hearing.

"As a heart attack." I laughed at her response.

"Yeah you've been working too much," I joked, "oh my God, I can't wait to see you mom! I miss you!" I tried to hold back tears.

"You'll get to see me tomorrow. Finally, but hey, I have to go now. Surgeon duties are calling my name. I love you." She seemed upset.

"Okay! I'll see you tomorrow, be safe and I love you too." I hung up.

I walked back to my room and got in the bed. My mind instantly started thinking of scenarios.

I'm nervous about seeing her. She doesn't know what I am. What if I lose control in front of her? Or worse, what if I lose control and hurt her.

~*~

I woke up and felt for Ethan with my eyes closed but he wasn't there. I opened my eyes and saw a note on the nightstand.

"Grayson, called and said he needed my help. If I'm not back by 12:00 then I'd be worried if I were you."

I looked at the time and it was 12:30. I jumped up and sped off. I ran into the Dolan's house.

"Ethan!" I called out, Nothing.
"Grayson!" I called out again, still nothing.

I grabbed my phone and called Ethan. No answer. I called Grayson.

"Ember!" Grayson answered breathing heavy.

"Grayson, what's wrong!" I yelled into the phone.

"Ethan and I, we're in trouble." He was whispering.

"Where are you? I'll come get you." I replied.

"We're at the abandoned hotel on the corner of 2nd and 3r-" I interrupted.

"I'm on my way!" I ended it and started running.

As I was running I started thinking about how Grayson answered but not Ethan. I hope he's okay.

I reached the hotel and started running through it when I was forced against the wall. I looked to see Julian holding me against the wall by my neck.

"You." He said.
"Me." I smiled and bit down on his hand. He yelled in pain.
"That was a mistake sweetheart." He gave me and evil grin. Then he tried to grab me but I sped behind him and snapped his neck.
"You're not as a badass as I thought. That's sad. I was really up for a challenge." I laughed stepping over him and hurried to find Ethan and Grayson knowing that he'd wake up soon.

I ran into a room with a lot of sunlight and looked to see Grayson in the corner out of the sun holding Ethan. I stepped into the room, not knowing the mistake I was about to make.

"No!" Grayson yelled and I started coughing. Then I grew weaker by the second.
"What is that?" I managed to get my question out.
"It's vervain." He said, his voice shaky.
"Come on!" I motioned for them to leave the room.
"We can't. He took our daylight rings." He coughed. I thought for a second and ran to where I left him when I snapped his neck. He wasn't there.

"Damnit." I whispered to myself and ran back to the room.

"There's not much time, Ember. Ethan is going to die." He said with tears in his eyes. I walked over to Ethan and put my necklace on him.
"What are you doing?" He asked.
"I'm moving him to the hallway. I still have strength." I coughed picking up Ethan.
"But you'll burn!" He yelled grabbing my arm.
"I can endure it." I reassured him and stepped into the sunlight unable to run due to the vervain taking over my body. I screamed in pain and made it into the hallway. I found a shady spot, sat Ethan down, and waited for the burning sensation to fade away. I took the necklace and ran to Grayson. I gave him my necklace and put him next to Ethan.
"Here." Grayson said handing my necklace to me.
"So now that you're out of the room with the air filled vervain. How are you two getting out of here?" I asked breathing heavily.
"Well," I turned to see Julian,"you see, those two stopped me from completing my absolute immortal transition when they took you from the warehouse. So, I used them to get you here and now let me drink from you then I'll hand over their daylight rings." He smirked.
"No! Ember don't do it!" Grayson yelled and I turned to him and back to Julian.
"Fine." I sighed agreeing to Julian. He said nothing and ran to me. He bit into my neck and started draining me of blood.
"That's enough man!" I heard Grayson yell before things went black.

Hey guys! I'm hoping I'll have no more distractions and can focus on this book now! So I should update again soon.