You Should Sit Down

My mother should be here in less than 10 minutes. I'm terrified that I will lose control around her. Ethan just keeps reminding me to stay calm and not let these thoughts cloud my judgement when she's here. I finished setting the table and tying the balloons. I heard a car door and looked out the curtain. Ethan came running down the stairs along with Grayson. They were playing Fortnite.

"Is that her?" Ethan asked.

"Yes." I replied with a deep breath and a huge smile. Her sister Laurel helped her to walk. She had a broke leg so she was on crutches. I waited for the door to open so I could finally be greeted by the woman that I thought I'd never see again. The door swung open and her face lit up as well as mine.

"Mom!" I yelled and hugged her trying not to break her in half.

"Hi sweetie!" She laughed. It was so good to hear her voice.

"Sit down, I know it's been a long day for you!" I smiled and wiped a tear off my cheek. As I walked to the door to close it Starla walked up.

"I'm not too late am I?" She smiled and I screamed hugging her.

"What are you doing here?" I asked laughing.

"Well Ethan told me to come." She answered. I looked to Ethan and he flashed me a smile.

"Alrighty come on in." I stepped aside as she walked in and I closed the door.
-
After dinner we just sat at the table and caught up with each other. It was so nice. I watched as everyone carried on conversations and laughed with each other. I was happy, like pieces of me that had been missing were all together. It felt easy and somewhat magical.

"Well, I'm going to start cleaning up." I got up and started getting everyone's plates.

"I'll help." Starla jumped up and also grabbed some plates. We walked to the sink and I was drying while she was washing.

"So, how have you been?" She asked.

"I've been good. I know I've been kinda MIA here lately. I've just had a lot going on." I explained.

"Oh no! I totally understand. I just miss you is all. Do you know what colleges have accepted you?" She asked and my heart sank because I can't go to college. Not with the life I have now.

"I'm not going to college." I responded.

"What? You have dreamed of getting into a great college since you were in middle school." She knew something was off. I want to tell her so bad but I'm scared to.

"It's hard to talk about." I finished drying a plate.

"Listen I know this whole thing with your mom has freaked you out but that doesn't mean you have to stay here and protect her all of your waking hours. You're alive and so is she, all is w- ow!" She hissed and I turned to see what was wrong. She had cut her finger on a knife.

"Oh no." I breathed in trying to stay calm.

"It's just a little scratch is all. I know where the band aids are." She held her bleeding hand and started to walk away. Everything in me was telling me to leave her alone except this one undying very powerful emotion. Hunger. I felt the veins pop under my eyes and then felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Contain yourself. Just breath. That is your friend she's not a warm body for you to feed on." Ethan whispered in my ear. I took a deep breath and the veins went away. I turned to Ethan.

"I have to tell her." I whispered.

"No. We can't have that risk." He shook his head.

"Please, Ethan. She's my best friend. Has been since pre school. Please." I begged and he nodded his head. She later came back with a band aid and I grabbed her hand.

"Come with me." I said and we went upstairs. I closed my bed room door.

"What is it?" She asked confused.

"You're going to want to sit down." I said and she sat. I took a deep breath. I could still smell the blood from her finger. My breathing slowly got faster.

"Is everything okay, Ember? You're worrying me." She asked.

"Just stop talking." I practically yelled.

"Are you mad about something? Did Ethan make you mad?" She asked more questions. I laughed.

"Mad? I'm not mad, I'm freaking hungry." I responded and turned around because my veins were coming out.

"We just ate." She said confused.

"I'm sorry." I whispered and turned towards her.

"Wha-what the hell?" Her eyes widened. I got closer to her trying to fight the urge. The door busted open and Ethan grabbed me. Grayson closed it behind him.

"Let go of me." I tried to break free.

"Ember! Calm down! Listen to me, remember what I said earlier." Ethan helped clam me down. I took a deep breath and the hunger went away. I looked at Starla and she looked confused.

"I'm so sorry." I cried as Ethan took me to the bathroom.

"What is wrong with you today?" He asked.

"I don't know. I just feel so hungry." I was starting to get worked up again.

"No, no! Here drink from me." He held his wrist up and I sunk my teeth into it. I drank until I was satisfied and kissed him.

"Thank you!" I whispered our foreheads touching. We walked out of the bathroom and Grayson was sitting next to Starla. She looked calmer.

"Grayson explained how you became a vampire." She nodded her head at me.

"You don't seem so uncomfortable talking about it." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"That's because I know of your kind. I just didn't think there was anyway you could be one." She sighed. 

"You know?" I asked.

"I've known Ethan and Grayson for longer than you have. I'm the one who made your necklace. I just didn't know it was yours I was making. I guess I should've realized that something happened to you when you disappeared for almost a month but I also wish Ethan and Grayson had told me." She explained.

"We didn't want to bring you into it." Grayson said.

"Wait, hold on a second, if you made my necklace, then that means you're a witch....."

Alrighty, so I know it's been a hell of a long time and I'm sorry but here ya go! 🖤