LOVE & CLAIRVOYANCE SNEAK PEEK

Here is the first chapter of the sequel to Love & Murder (which is also now on Amazon as a paperback or ebook!)  

Chapter One:

Somewhere near Nottinghamshire, 1905

The long train ride to Elsick house was Eliza's first real opportunity to digest all of the new information she had learned about her new fiancè, Lord Colin Bradshaw, Marquess of MacDuff and the son of the Duke of Fife. The other titles that followed Colin's name made Eliza's head spin as she had no idea how many names were attached to a man who simply likes to be called, Colin.

The idea of becoming a marchioness appealed to every lady in England, and it did to Eliza for a short while, but when Colin suggested spending their engagement in one of his family's homes, reality set in, and her mother, Lady Winter, was acting as if Eliza was going to be spending a month at Buckingham.

Eliza always thought she'd leave London and head straight back to the Winter estate in Scarborough, after failing to secure a proposal. Never in her wildest dreams did she think she would be whisked away to the countryside to plan a lavish wedding to a distant cousin of Queen Victoria. In a week's time, the duke and duchess would be traveling down from Kinnaird Castle to meet their son's blushing bride and approving his match by throwing a ball in Eliza and Colin's honor.

Even in the luxurious first-class cabin, surrounded by rich red and gold wallpaper and green velvet seating, Eliza felt like an imposter again. She didn't feel like this was her normal life yet. She was not used to having a man sitting beside her, doting on her every need. Colin reaches out and grabs her hand, "Why the pinched face my darling?"

Eliza moves her stare from the patches of wildflowers zipping past her window to Colin.

"Nerves. My stomach is twisted into knots. It's all settling in now."

"Nerves? I'd have thought you were going to say butterflies," he says with a warm grin. "Aren't you excited to start your new life? Away from London, away from your parents, away from silly rumors?"

The train car sways as they make it closer to Nottinghamshire and Eliza can't wait to change out of her stiff traveling frock and slip into something that breathes. Lady Winter had Eliza's trousseau coming in from Paris and she had hoped for simplicity in designs. She was worried every gown was going to be silk and lace and required a shape-creating corset. She told Colin she had no intentions of dressing like royalty in their day to day life and he made it seem like she was in charge of her attire. She looks to him in his dark navy, wool suit and her stomach warms when she scans his freshly shaven face. His dark, nearly black hair is brushed off his face and the navy in his suit flatters his dark blue eyes. She knows Elsick house will have a full staff, along with Lucy, Eliza's lady's maid and Brandon, Colin's Valet, but her nerves are also attributed to the fact that they'll finally be alone together. More alone than they were when Colin was sneaking inside Eliza's room last month.

"I am excited," Eliza clarifies to Colin, while squeezing his hand with her gloved one, "But I am also a bundle of nerves because I haven't a clue what I am in for. I know you are taking time away from your work in Sussex to plan our wedding, but I don't want you to get bored with me in the country."

"Don't be silly. There will be plenty to keep us busy." A devilish grin takes over his handsome face as he flirts and heat floods Eliza's. He catches it and lets out a loud laugh.

"Don't be ludicrous," Eliza says in a low voice with an eye roll. "We are still a month away from our wedding. I expect you to follow the rules of social decorum."

"Decorum? Nay my darling. When we have followed societal expectations? I remember you kissing me on the pavement outside the Ritz only weeks ago. Not an ounce of decorum in sight," he says with another grin, which causes Eliza's jaw to drop slightly.