Suspects

Martin handed Eliza a letter on a small silver tray when she arrived home that morning. She didn't recognize the handwriting nor the crest, so she eagerly ripped the seal. She quickly read over the contents and saw it was Lady Cavanaugh finally getting back to her. Eliza darts her eyes to the grandfather clock that stood in the morning room and realizes she might still catch her. She looks to Martin and tells him, "I am popping by the neighbor's right quick. I'll be back in a jiff." She spins around and strides right back out the door.

This time she doesn't need to produce a calling card, the butler remembers her and allows her into the foyer. They summon Lady Cavanaugh and a shrewd, yet refined older woman comes gliding into the foyer, clutching a knitted shawl around her petite shoulders.

"You're the woman who came asking about a lady's maid? It was in my letter that I could be of no help." She says plainly, eyeing Eliza suspiciously.

"I did. And yes, it's only, I was told you have employed a number of lady's maids and I wasn't sure if there was one you had just released that may have not yet found employment. I'm trying to find one to come up to our Scarborough home when I leave London next week," Eliza lies.

Suddenly, an older man appears in the doorway to the morning room. He looks at Eliza and freezes. It's the same man that told her of Colin's whereabouts this morning at White's.

"This is just our neighbor dear, collecting a lady's maid reference," Lady Cavanaugh says rapidly, brushing him off.

"How do you do?" He asks just as quickly, clearly not wanting an answer as he suddenly looks back to his wife and says, "Tell Winston I'll have my tea in the library." He steals one last look at Eliza and then strides off down the hallway. Lady Cavanaugh scowls at Eliza and then says, "Where were we? Oh yes, a reference." She folds her hands together and adds, "Like I said in my letter, I'm afraid I cannot recommend a suitable maid. All the ones I employed did not leave with the best of references. I swear it's these London agencies, they just pump them out without truly vetting the girls."

"I understand," Eliza says, trying to sound sincere when her mind is still on the husband. "It's why I was trying to avoid going through one." Eliza gives the cold woman a soft smile and then turns back toward the door. "I'm sorry to have dropped by. Enjoy the rest of your morning."

The butler holds the door open for Eliza and she doesn't look back as she leaves the Cavanaugh's home. She dashes back over to her own set of steps and practically takes them two at a time. She rips the telephone up from the table once inside and quickly calls the Tennyson's. She glances at the clock again and doesn't think Colin will be home by now. The butler answers and as suspected, Colin was not yet in. She tells the butler to leave a message for the detective, saying to look into Lord Cavanaugh on St. James. He'll know what it's about she assures the butler and then ends the call.

She sighs knowing it was always a waiting game with Colin. She'd have to be patient until he could reach her. She was standing in the foyer when her mother appears, looking to Eliza in shock, "And where have you been? Martin said you flew out of here just after sunrise." They continue to the morning room as Eliza replies, "I needed to meet Lord Bradshaw. I had a revelation last night."

"A revelation? About what?" Mary asks curiously, dropping onto the square, silk-covered chair. The curtains are hooked back, allowing the bright sunshine to splash all over the wooden floors.

"Penelope. I need to go to Kent," Eliza states plainly and Mary draws her head back in confusion.

"Kent? When? And why?" Mary asks as Eliza sits on the sofa across from her mother.

"As soon as possible. Lord Bradshaw is seeing if he can accompany me to go look for clues," Eliza answers and her mother purses her thin lips.

"Clues? Are you some sort of amateur detective now darling?" Mary asks with a breathy laugh. "What clues do you expect to find in Kent?"

"I think Penelope was meeting her murderer there when she went to visit her aunt. I want to go explore the area around Lady Davenport's estate."

Mary shakes her head, "That seems like something Detective Inspector Bradshaw should do. Even hearing you say murderer is displeasing." She puts her hand to her heart and Eliza remembers Colin's remark about smelling salts.

"Bradshaw is the one looking, but he doesn't know the Davenport estate like I do. I would like to go and help where I can. Just point him in the right direction and talk Lady Davenport into giving Lord Bradshaw access to the grounds," Eliza says with a pop of her shoulder. "And...it would be nice to get to know him better, if I am being honest."

Mary stares at Eliza, probably wondering if she should allow her daughter to go prancing through the countryside with a man she's smitten with. She raises a thin brown eyebrow and replies, "Is this for the day? Or an overnight excursion?"

"I'm not sure yet. Colin is supposed to phone if he gets permission to head up to Kent," Eliza replies and her mother nods.

"Well, until we know if he is even able to accompany you, I say we put this discussion on hold. No need to fine-tune the details if there are no details to fine-tune," Mary says with a smile. "Now on to things we do know. Your Aunt Jane is coming for breakfast tomorrow to say goodbye before heading back to Brighton. She's officially closed up her London home and is anxious to get back to her quiet seaside life."

"Nothing about aunt Jane's life is quiet," Eliza mutters, but Mary carries on, "And my darling, we need to discuss what we are doing about our London home. We were supposed to leave back to Scarborough days ago."

Eliza sighs and folds her hands together as she says, "I know. It's just that...I don't want to leave until they catch whoever did this to Penelope. I would hate to wait around, wondering if the news posts any updates. I'll go mad wondering if her case is progressing."

"So, a dashing young detective has nothing to do with your interest in staying?" Mary coyly asks with a smirk. Eliza can't help the grin that gives her feelings away. "I told your aunt that he was taking you to the opera, she's mighty impressed."

"Oh no, please don't announce my feelings for him to anyone. I would hate for it to spread around before I know what his feelings are for me," Eliza pleads.

"You don't have any idea? Not even after last night?" Mary asks in surprise. Eliza knows her mother wants this to work. If her daughter can settle down, especially with a man who holds a title, all her worries will disappear. "Oh, did you see Andrew Tennyson last night? Was it terribly awkward?"

Eliza thinks back to her evening and realizes she didn't see Andrew. She looks back to her mother and replies, "I didn't thank goodness. It was odd enough that he had asked me in the first place."

"He's desperate my dear," Mary says plainly. "You know Georgina Willowby, she was at the Brixton's ball? Anyhow, she plays bridge with Lady Tennyson and apparently Lady Tennyson said that Andrew has been acting out all summer. Having massive rows with his father and disappearing around London for days at a time. Making her a nervous wreck."

"He seemed very unhappy at their dinner party," Eliza notes. "But he didn't try to single me out then. I don't know what changed in a week."

"Maybe his father gave him an ultimatum?" Mary suggests. "If you were off squandering the family fortune, we too would have massive rows I gather."

"Who's fighting now?" Edward asks as he appears in the morning room.

"No one dear," Mary answers and Edward seems pleased that she left it at that.

"I was thinking of heading over to Brick Lane Market. Pick up some essentials before heading back to Scarborough," Edward says while rocking on his feet. "Would you two care to join me?" Eliza realizes she had nothing better to do. Colin may not call for hours, so she shrugs and nods to her father.

"We'll go get ready for a day out then," Mary announces and both women stand to prepare for a day out. Eliza realizes they are going to shop for Scarborough, when her mother hadn't officially said when they wanted to head back. The discussion would have to continue at another time.