Details

Eliza received Colin's message to phone him when she arrived back from Brick Lane. She was glad he was in residence when she called and he quickly approved their trip to Kent for the following day. Eliza scrambled to get approval from her mother and Mary reluctantly agreed to let her go as long as Lucy accompanied her. Lady Davenport also approved their unexpected stay and Colin's valet was asked along for the journey as well. They somehow managed to get their ducks in a row and Eliza feels like it's Penelope intervening. Making their journey to her as easy as possible.

Eliza could hardly sleep after her and Lucy packed up what she needed for a night away. She knew her mother was weary, letting Eliza go overnight with a man, but Eliza assured her that they'd treat Lady Davenport with the utmost respect. That and Eliza knew she wasn't going to toss her virtue around with a man she's only known a few weeks.

The next morning Lucy dresses Eliza in a simple yet sophisticated peacock blue frock and takes time framing her face with strawberry ringlets. Lucy knows Eliza was anxious to see Colin, she could tell by the dreamy expression that clouded her face every time his name was mentioned. She has a soft smile lingering all morning and her daze didn't break until Martin announces that her Aunt Jane was downstairs.

Eliza flounces down the staircase and meet her mother and aunt in the dining room. She claps her hands at the formal breakfast display and sits down, ready to dig into her ham and eggs.

"Coffee or tea?" The maid asks and Eliza thinks coffee would make her jitters worse, so she opts for tea.

"Good morning my beautiful niece," Jane says with a smile before sipping her coffee.

"Morning!" Eliza replies brightly.

"I was just about to tell Jane about your travels," Mary says with a glance to Jane, showing she was in for quite a treat.

"Oh?" Jane asks before looking to Eliza, who is spreading marmalade on her toast.

"Yes, she's spending the day in Kent," Mary announces, "With a man." She gives a slight head nod and Jane's eyes widen.

"Well, not just a man mother. Lucy is coming and so is his valet. And we'll be spending the day with Penelope's aunt," Eliza adds, downplaying her trip.

"Well well, who is the man?" Jane asks eagerly, dropping her cup from her hands, excited about Eliza's prospects. "First out to the opera and now out to the countryside."

"It's the same man. Lord Colin Bradshaw. Apparently, the opera was just the beginning," Mary says with a bounce of her eyebrows. Eliza could tell as much as Mary was hesitant about her daughter traveling, she was excited that she had a prospect. Jane's face suddenly falls and Eliza immediately catches her frown.

"Detective Inspector Colin Bradshaw yes?" Jane asks and Eliza nods, "Yes, you briefly met him at the Erikson's."

"Yes. There and at the dinner I had in Westminster last night," Jane replies with a nervous glance to Mary.

"Oh? He did say he had a dinner to go to last night. I didn't know the details," Eliza admits, suddenly not hungry for breakfast. Her aunt's change in demeanor has her nervous.

"I'm sure he didn't want to share the details with you," Jane says ominously and Eliza wants to snap at Jane to just say what she wants to say!

"And what are those details?" Mary cautiously asks. Suddenly none of the women are holding forks or cups. They all have their hands in their lap, waiting for Jane to divulge.

"I'm only looking out for my niece, if I would have known about this outing, I would have said something to his lordship last night," Jane admits.

"What is it Jane?" Eliza finally snaps, hoping her beating heart won't beat her to death. Jane darts her eyes to Mary and then back to Eliza before saying, "Adelaide Greensbury was Bradshaw's date last night. They stuck close together and if that one has her way, their announcement should be in the Times this morning." Eliza suddenly feels ill. Why would Colin take Adelaide as a date anywhere? She seemed to aggravate him to no end.

"What was this dinner for? Just a party?" Eliza suddenly asks.

Jane shakes her head, "No it was a fundraiser. Most of the big wigs over at Scotland Yard were there. Some MPs and aristocrats. They seemed to be chummy with Bradshaw and I know Chief Inspector Greensbury looked mighty impressed with him."

"I would be impressed with anyone that can stand Adelaide for an evening too," Eliza spats. "What's his endgame here? Take me to the opera one night and her to a charity dinner the next? He's well aware of what courting means, you're not supposed to do it with multiple women!"

"Well darling, he may be weighing his options. Men don't always settle down with the girl they fancy. He might take a wife for political reasons or financial reasons," Mary says, she too disappointed to hear of Colin's actions.

"He is a detective, he might be strategizing for his career," Jane adds and Eliza suddenly wants to call Kent off. She doesn't want to spend the day with the man that spent the night canoodling her worst enemy. A kiss no longer equals marriage, Eliza knows men can smooch and rake all over the United Kingdom without having to settle down. But for a woman, especially Eliza, a kiss meant something. It's the first step toward an engagement.

When Penelope's face comes into focus through Eliza's rage, she knows she can't let her friend down. Unfortunately, she needs to go to Kent.

"I don't want to be a man's second choice. Or only chosen because of my title or dowry. I don't know how many times I can say that," Eliza says, shoving the frog in her throat down.

"Of course not dear," Jane says while reaching across the table for Eliza's hand. "But that's sometimes how these things work. That's the reality of marriage."

"Well you know I have no problem confronting the man. I am to be on a train with him for hours and then overnight in Kent. Tomorrow, I will be coming home knowing exactly where I stand," Eliza states, now ready to see the man she thought was courting her and confront him.

"Now Eliza, I thought you were going to Kent for Penelope. Don't do anything to derail your plans," Mary states. "If you don't think you can, then I don't think you should go. I would hate for a row to break out and then suddenly you're alone in Kent." The shrill of the telephone startles all of the ladies and moments later, Martin strides through the doorway.

"That was Lord Bradshaw my lady. He's leaving to the train station now and you are to meet him at platform 9," Martin says.

"Thank you, Martin," Eliza says and then turns back to her mother. "I'm going to Kent for Penelope. But I can assure you that I am coming back knowing exactly where I stand with Lord Bradshaw."

"Protect your heart dear," Jane says softly. "Make him earn it." Eliza nods and then looks to Martin who is about to leave the dining room, "Martin?"

"Yes, my lady?

"Can you please grab my bow and arrow set from the garden? I suddenly feel like I could use some protection while we travel," Eliza states and then smiles to him. Mary and Jane exchange nervous glances.

"Well, we certainly won't need a detective to solve his murder," Jane mutters and Mary looks to her in agreement.