Clues

Colin didn't let go of Eliza until she finished telling him everything while sitting on the stone steps outside the front door.

"Did you have any idea about your uncle?" Eliza asks, finally in control of her emotions. Her mother and aunt would be proud. Colin gives her a slight nod and rubs his hands down his face, "I knew it had to be one of them. I tried to pinpoint it while I was at White's, but they had both been there the day Penelope disappeared."

"What made you suspect them? Andrew popped up in my mind for a second, but I immediately dismissed it because I couldn't think of a motive," Eliza asks.

"A few things raised red flags." Colin starts, "for one, I realized that not only was White's close to your house, but so was a shortcut I used to get to your window from the Tennyson's. If Penelope was consistently being dropped at your house, she had a short walk to check the club or his home, both could be done in under fifteen minutes. Then there were some hints my aunt dropped about money troubles, wondering if my father would assist if it came to it."

"Why didn't they start by asking your father for money instead of blaming Andrew for their mounting debts?"

Colin sighs, "My father is a very greedy and stingy man. He had helped them once and there would be no more handouts."

"Was there anything else you knew?" Eliza asks, shocked that Colin had kept this all to himself the entire time.

"I knew my uncle had a mistress, he made several comments about how I would need one when I got married. But I found it odd that he said his mistress would not be going with them when they left London. I heard him whispering that to his valet two days after you came to me saying your friend had gone missing."

"You suspected him this whole time!" Eliza gasps, not realizing they were suspicious since before Penelope's body was even discovered.

"It's why I attached myself to the case. I didn't want it to be my own family, I searched all other avenues, but it just kept coming back to the Tennysons."

"But you didn't know if it was Andrew or your uncle. I suppose even your aunt could have stabbed her if Penelope went to her with the blackmail and news of the pregnancy," Eliza suggests but Colin shakes his head no.

"No, she was distraught when she found out Penelope had died. She was hopeful that she was their ticket out of their debts. That's almost why I didn't suspect Andrew."

"But then something happened to make you circle back to him," Eliza states.

"The empty opera box is what made them go straight to the top. I knew my uncle had tickets, but my aunt seemed confused when I asked about them. Then I had wondered if he was giving them to Andrew. When I didn't see them or anyone else fill that box, I knew I had to find their tickets."

"Did you find them?" Eliza asks and Colin gives her a slow nod.

"I found them last night, I checked the box number and it was the same Penelope had written down. I had them at White's the day of the murder, the connection with the tickets and their home within walking distance. Then you discovered the empty property here and now I know where they were secretly meeting," Colin says with a sigh.

"But you agreed to come to Kent. Why come if you already had everything you needed?" Eliza asks. "I was still running in circles, clueless." Colin reaches out and strokes her cheek.

"I wanted the time with you. That and you were adamant that something was here in Kent and I had to know if anything would come of it. Turns out you were right," Colin admits and Eliza looks away from him. She was stunned that Kent had turned out to be fruitful. "About a few things," Colin adds and she flicks her eyes to him. "I shouldn't have used Adelaide to seek information. I shouldn't have led her on. I put my job before your feelings and that was wrong. I justified it by believing I was helping you."

"What did Adelaide know?" Eliza asks quietly, remembering that Colin had just hurt her less than an hour ago.

"Andrew had dropped her name in conversation a few times. It seems they go to similar parties and hang out in the same social circles," Colin admits. "I wanted to know if she had seen him around since Penelope's death."

"And had she?"

Colin nods, "Yes. He apparently made it well known that he was going to propose to you. He was actually saying some things about you that if I would have found him before now, I would have..." He cracks his knuckles while looking away from Eliza.

"He did propose to me," Eliza admits with an eye roll. Colin snaps his eyes back to her enraged.

"You better be joking," Colin snaps. Eliza feels his grip on her hand tighten and she replies, "I'm dead serious. My options were marrying him or bleeding out tied to that bedpost."

"Oh my, you must have said you'd rather bleed out. Must have been quite the blow to his ego," Colin says sarcastically making Eliza laugh. "And what was with that bow in there? I had no idea you were so dangerous."

"I've learned to protect myself long ago," Eliza says confidently at first and then her chin drops and she adds, "I think emotionally too. It's why I didn't mention Andrew coming to see me. I couldn't bear it if what he said was true. So, I chose to stay ignorant." Colin scoots himself on the step so he can properly face her. He grabs both of her hands as he says, "I will admit that a part of me stayed close to you because of this case. You were smart and putting things together, so I enjoyed having you by my side through it. But you intrigued me since the library debacle and I would have wanted to get to know you regardless. I'm being very honest when I say I am falling for you. I can see a future with you. I don't care if you think you're suddenly not good enough for me because of my lineage. I can tell you, you are too good for me." Eliza's heart swells and she can't help but smile at him. She knew this was her chance to tell him how she felt about him and not by kissing him. This was her chance to tell him that she wanted this to continue after they leave London, that she wanted to be officially courted and introduced as his fiancée.

Eliza stares at Colin, but when she goes to reply, three bobbies barrel out the front door and call for Detective Inspector Bradshaw. Colin looks to Eliza and says, "Lucy is waiting for you with Lady Davenport, get on the first train back to London. Think about what I said and I'll come to you when all of this is wrapped up." He gives her a kiss on the forehead and strides through the door. Eliza watches him leave with all the words she wanted to say lingering on her lips.