Evan

Mary shut herself inside her room as soon as they arrived home. There was nothing but silence the entire ride back to the Winter Estate since both women were just waiting to fall apart in private. Eliza quickly made her way to her room and dismissed Lucy as soon as she was out of her funeral attire. Lucy offered to draw her a bath to soothe her tension, but Eliza was afraid if she got into the water, she may sink and stay there.

Eliza lashed out as soon as Lucy closed her door. She threw her pillows against her wardrobe and held one against her face as she screamed into it. She took both her and Penelope's diary and threw them against the hand-painted damask wallpaper that covered her walls. Her cheery blue surroundings seemed to be mocking her. She ripped the silk ribbon Lucy had tied around her braid off and frantically undid all her work. She finally threw herself onto her bed and kept her palms pressed to her eyes as she sobbed.

She had managed to gain control of her breathing when the knock came. She knew it would after the way she had left him with that look on his face. She couldn't tell if it was pity because he knew exactly what Adelaide was getting at or sadness that Eliza let Adelaide get to her.

She pushes herself so her arms are straight against her bed, the pillows still askew all over the floor. She meets his eyes and instantly knows she will allow him to pull the panel open. He comes in as gingerly as he always does, but this is the first time she feels his apprehension to look her in the eye. He was more confident when he pushed his way in the first time.

She finally pushes herself off the bed and pulls her wild hair to one side. She takes a deep breath and watches as he slides her chair across from where she is. They stare at each other in silence and she notices that he too had changed from his black funeral suit into a lighter brown one.

"I know I said I'd come to discuss the diary, but there is something I'd like to ask before we get to that," Colin says plainly.

"Alright," Eliza responds and she settles into a comfortable position on the side of her bed.

"I want to just address it Lady Eliza, I want whatever it is that's holding you back out in the open. I can't force you to tell me in your own words why rumors swirl around you, but I'd like to ask you to trust me enough with your secrets and your past," Colin sincerely asks Eliza. She hadn't expected him to be so blunt but then again, their second conversation was her calling him out. She had set the tone of their relationship right from the get go.

"And if it changes your opinion of me?" Eliza asks in return. She sits up straighter but avoids his eye contact as she lifts her chin.

"When I first heard Miss Walscott refer to you as Crazy Eliza it didn't change my opinion of you. Only mine of her," Colin answers honestly. "I like you Eliza. I told you as much when I was last here. I want to ask you to the opera tomorrow night, but I need to know why you have a habit of lashing out whenever Miss Walscott or Miss Greensbury come near. Why are they able to fluster you so?" Eliza stares at him, surprised at his candidness but also glad for it. They seem to be able to speak freely to each other. She baits him into answering questions, both about his marital status and Penelope's murder and in turn, he asks her for her honesty. She's unsure what he sees in her, what keeps him coming back to her window but she's happy he does. She's just not sure if it's fleeting.

"You want to take me to the opera? As in a public outing? Why?" Eliza asks, addressing what shocked her most of his statement. He leans forward dropping his elbows to his thighs and clasps his hands together. If it weren't for his last name, she'd have wondered if Colin was of Irish descent with his dark hair, light coloring and blue eyes. She can smell his aftershave again and notices there's no stubble on his handsome face. He probably got a shave before the funeral and Eliza shakes her head to stop from staring.