Mother

Eliza finished Penelope's diary and had sat distracted for the next few hours. Her parents bombarded her with affection when they finally returned home but she couldn't feel their sorrow and suffocation. Her mind was floating elsewhere.

Penelope had met a man whom she fell in love with very quickly. Their courtship seemed to last a mere two weeks before she was writing about love and marriage. Her words on paper versus her words to Eliza didn't add up. She made it seem that she had fallen in love with a penniless man and all he could give her was his love. But the man on paper had wealth, enough to shower her with little gifts and secret dates. She wrote of her "darling" professing his love to her, that he had never seen a woman with her beauty. That he wanted to give her the world, only something was holding him back. Something about "Sir's" life irked Penelope. It seemed he had to sneak away to meet with her, something she got tired of. She also mentions that she hadn't met anyone close to him nor him with her. She was irritated that their love affair was staying secret for longer than she wanted. He didn't want to go public, but she never said why. She hinted that she had as much to lose as he did if their affair was revealed, but she thought he was worth it. Apparently, the sentiment wasn't shared.

The day before she went missing, she wrote of an ultimatum. That she was going to end things if he didn't tell the world he was in love with her. She never spoke of a baby, but she definitely wrote about how one would be conceived. Eliza isn't all that surprised that Penelope was pregnant by the amount of love-making she wrote about. He had taken her virtue and she felt he owed her his loyalty.

She wanted to discuss it all with Colin, but she knew she would have to wait until the sun went down to share her ideas. She wished that he would just come to the front door, but with the amount of hugging and crying her mother was currently doing, she didn't think her parents would allow him to speak with her if he did.

"Eliza darling, we are so sorry we weren't here when you received word of Lady Penelope's death," her mother says for the fourth time. "It shocked everyone at Chester house when I relayed the news." Eliza and her mother are cuddled together on the chaise in the drawing-room, Mary holds Eliza's hands as she looks to her with regret.

"Mother, you had no idea tragedy would strike as soon as you left. Please don't be so hard on yourself," Eliza says softly.

"I just feel for her mother. To lose a child..." Mary starts, but the frog in her throat stops her. She stares blankly in front of her and Eliza knows to change topics before her mother lingers on her own loss.

"I'm helping in every way I can," Eliza says quickly. "I've been relaying any information I have to Lord Colin Bradshaw, Lord Tennyson's nephew."

"Yes, the detective," Mary says while swiping the last tear from her cheek. "Martin mentioned that he's been pestering you-" Eliza quickly cuts her off.

"No, Martin feels that way but honestly, it's been helping me deal with losing Penelope. Finding her killer and bringing her justice is more important to me than social protocol," Eliza says and then purses her lips.

"Yes, but I don't want you putting yourself into danger Eliza. No need to put a target on your own back," Mary replies sharply. Suddenly, Martin opens the drawing-room door and stands just past the threshold. He looks to Eliza and announces, "Lord Bradshaw just rang here. He asked me to tell you that he won't have time to come today, but that he'll be at Lady Penelope's funeral tomorrow."

Eliza's heart sinks. She not only wanted to see Colin, but she had wanted to discuss Penelope's diary. She won't have any privacy tomorrow with the number of people that will be at the funeral. Vultures and gossip mongers will be pouring in through every nook and cranny to get the scoop on her death. Nosy busybodies will come to relish on every aspect of the murder and they won't be able to help themselves by sharing their opinion. As far as Eliza knows, it isn't common information that Penelope was pregnant at the time of her death. Nor is it known that she was in the midst of a messy love affair. She hopes both will not go public.

Eliza sighs, "Thank you Martin." The butler gives her a slow bow with his head and then exits the room. Mary looks back to Eliza and asks, "Will tomorrow be too hard for you?"

Eliza quickly asks, "Will it be for you? If so, Lucy can accompany me or I will ask Bradshaw to." Mary stares at Eliza, wondering how to answer. From Eliza's eagerness, it seems that Eliza would prefer different company.

"I'd do anything for you darling," Mary finally reassures her and wipes a soothing thumb gently over Eliza's hand. "Although, do I dare ask if it's Lord Bradshaw's company you'd rather have tomorrow? Don't think I didn't see the disappointment splashed across your face by Martin's announcement."

Eliza shakes her head, "I had just hoped to speak with him about Penelope in private before the funeral."

"What have you learned since her death?" Mary gently asks and Eliza quickly sighs before standing to refill her empty teacup. She walks over to the desk where the teapot sits and replies, "Honestly not much." Eliza knows to keep Penelope's pregnancy a secret. Her mother already had reservations about Penelope's reputation and behavior. No need for an "I told you so."

"And Bradshaw is the lead on her case?" Mary asks with a raised eyebrow. "That is convenient." Eliza stays with her back to her mother. She knows her mother is probing for details. She just isn't sure what she wants to share yet. Suddenly it's Eliza with all the secrets.

Eliza slowly fills her tea and watches the steam rise from her porcelain cup. She gingerly places the cup upon the small plate and walks slowly back to her mother, wondering how much to share.

"It's been nice to have a friend to talk to about Penelope, who is willing to answer questions I have. That's all that's there," Eliza finally says and she notes Mary's raised eyebrow. She slowly sips her tea as Mary replies, "Well if tomorrow becomes too much to bear, you let me know immediately. I don't want those vultures attacking you." Eliza knows she means Bridgette and Adelaide and it infuriates Eliza to think those two would even be in attendance. They didn't know nor like Penelope, but they would be all tears and sniffles tomorrow.

"I have a feeling I won't have the patience for their antics tomorrow. I'll have no problem ignoring their presence," Eliza says with a snap.

"Do you have the proper attire or do we need to run off to the high street?" Mary asks as she eyes Eliza's violet dress. The last funeral Eliza attended was ten years ago, so her mother had a right to ask.

"Lucy had a gown made as soon as I received the news. It was delivered yesterday," Eliza tells her and her mother nods.

"Good. Well, my darling girl, I am exhausted from our travels and am retiring to bed. From the looks of you, you could use a good night's sleep as well. I think we should both go up and prepare for tomorrow," Mary tells her before pushing herself off the chaise. She drops her tea cup on the small table next to her and Eliza follows. Sunlight is still lingering in a few of the windows, but Eliza is suddenly exhausted. Her lack of sleep from the night before has caught up with her and she knows she needs to prepare for the emotional wreck she'll be tomorrow.

As they reach the part of the hallway that splits off to their separate rooms, Mary looks to Eliza and softly says, "Good night. I hope you have the sweetest dreams my darling." Eliza musters up a small smile, but if her dreams are anything like the last night's, she knows they'll be anything but sweet. Her concerned mother squeezes Eliza's hand and then saunters off down the hallway. She watches Mary's thin frame disappear into her bed chamber and silently hopes that she can be strong enough for both her and her mother tomorrow.