Confessions

Eliza hears Colin shouting to her as she runs toward the trees. A part of her wanted to scream at him for taking Adelaide, demand he tell her every detail of their night together. But the other part of her wanted to show him that she didn't care about what he did. That he didn't matter to her, so his actions couldn't affect her. A war was raging inside her and she wanted to get far away from him before one side could take over.

As she plunges into the tree-line, she hears him getting closer to her. She can't out run him forever. Especially in the day dress she's wearing that restricts her movements. She also knows deep down she's never going to be able to focus solely on Penelope when her head is swarming with questions for Colin.

When she comes to a stop in a small clearing, she feels the trees casting shadows around her, making the woods feel eerie. She hears Colin's feet snapping twigs and crunching dirt behind her, so she spins around to see that he too, is catching his breath.

"You're not one to shy away from conflict Eliza, why are you hiding something now?" Colin states, breathing heavily and clearly confused at her behavior.

"Lady Eliza," she childishly retorts and Colin frowns, "Oh, we're back to that are we?"

"I am the daughter of an Earl, you should treat me as such!" Eliza snaps and Colin throws his hands up, "And I am the son of a Duke, but here you are yelling at me!" Words escape Eliza. She stares at him blankly and all arguments she wanted to throw at him suddenly vanish.

"What?" Eliza whispers while staring at him with wide eyes.

"I don't care about the titles Lady Eliza, if you don't call me Lord Bradshaw, I won't throw you in the bloody chokey!"

"That's not..." she says while shaking her head, "I didn't know..."

"Didn't know what?" Colin asks, wondering what has her anger melting away.

"I didn't know you were the son of a Duke!" Eliza says frantically.

"Of course you did, why else would you be calling me Lord Bradshaw," Colin says flatly while putting his fists on his hips.

"I was aware you were a lord but not a bloody marquess!" Eliza says with embarrassment. "I've been throwing around your Christian name like you're a bloody commoner!" She's glad to be away from ears that would have blushed at her profanity.

"What does it matter? What changes now?" Colin frustratingly says.

"Everything!" Eliza says breathlessly. She shakes her head while on the verge of tears, "I can't believe I was so stupid to believe that you...that we...that I..." she starts pacing.

"My father being the Duke of Fife changes nothing Lady Eliza. Not a damn thing," Colin spats and Eliza stops. She lets out a laugh, confusing Colin further.

"I should have listened to your cousin. He told me this was all a ruse and I brushed him off. Now I know you're too good for me."

"Andrew?" Colin says and then more sternly asks, "When did you speak to Andrew?" Eliza finally stops pacing and throws her hands up while shaking her head. "What did he say to you?" Colin asks again and his tone makes Eliza look to him.

"That I was crazy to think you were interested in anything more than this case. That I was a pawn in a game I didn't understand," Eliza says while fighting back tears. "Well I can tell you, Crazy Eliza has a new meaning to it!"

"Don't call yourself that! Andrew knows nothing!" Colin spits and Eliza realizes she has nothing to lose at this point. She might as well lay it all on the line. She never had Colin in the first place. She realizes that now, so she might as well say what she wants to say.