Neighbors

When Eliza reaches St. James Park, she stands with her hands on her hips, staring at the grand brick and limestone houses that surround hers. She knew some of her neighbors from society gatherings, but they were older, much too old for Penelope. Others she knew were widows that came up to London infrequently- also not candidates for Penelope's love interest.

Her green eyes scan the houses, making note of the tenants she doesn't know. Two empty houses stood across from the park and Eliza hadn't seen movement inside all summer. That left four houses within walking distance of Eliza's with potential male suitors inside. Eliza tries to think of an excuse to knock on the unknown houses, but one doesn't spring to mind.

Then, a woman leading her lady's maid down the street near the park inspires Eliza. She plucks her calling card from her pocketbook and sets off toward the first house.

She's not dissuaded when no one comes to the door, she simply sets off to the next house in hopes of an answer. A butler opens the door on her second attempt and she proceeds to tell him that she has an appointment with the lady of the household to discuss employment of a lady's maid. When the butler informs her that no woman is in residence and that the master of the house has been on holiday since the beginning of the month, Eliza knows there could be no tie to Penelope. She apologizes for mixing up the addresses and saunters off to the third house in question.

This time, Eliza is going to have to go through with her lie when the butler informs her that the mistress of the house is in fact home. He leads Eliza inside and offers her a seat in the ornately decorated drawing-room, which sits in the front of the house. An older woman, impeccably dressed in periwinkle silk and lace flits into the room and smiles at Eliza.

"Lady Eliza Winter is it? I was told you are here regarding the employment of a lady's maid?"

Eliza nods and stammers out, "Yes. You see mine has recently given her notice and I was hoping to find one before leaving to Scarborough next week. I'd rather not go through an agency."

"And whom may I ask, sent you the referral to me?" The woman questions with a raised eyebrow and Eliza swallows hard.

"My aunt. Lady Jane Donahue. I may have gotten the address wrong," Eliza adds, looking around her as if wondering for the first time whether she's in the correct place. The woman folds her hands while pinching her brows together, wondering if she knows a Lady Jane Donahue. She shakes her head and says, "I'm embarrassed for not placing a face to the name, but if she sent you here-"

"Perhaps another member of your household gave her your address? Your husband or staff?" Eliza throws out there, wondering if the bait will work. The woman quickly shakes her head, "Unless my husband is haunting your aunt, that is not possible. As for my staff, I keep a skeletal staff here in my London home. I don't have a reference for a lady's maid I'm afraid. There must have been a mix-up."

Eliza stands from the hard gold chair she was seated in and shakes her head, "I must have gotten the address wrong. I apologize for wasting your time." Eliza starts to walk back toward the threshold when the woman says, "Perhaps you ought to try next door. Lady Cavanaugh is known for going through staff, or should I say, her husband does." She adds with a knowing look. "She might have the reference you seek."

Hope swells in Eliza's chest and she thanks the woman profusely. That was just the type of household Eliza is searching for. She practically dashes out the front door, holding her skirt high as she runs down the brick steps and hightails it next door. Her heart pounds in her chest as she rings the bell and the long wait has her contemplating ringing again. She looks behind her to the quiet street and then cocks her head to the left to try and get a glimpse inside the three-story brownstone. Suddenly the black door whips open and a butler awaits Eliza's greeting.

She pulls her calling card up and as she drops it in his hands she says, "I'm here to see Lady Cavanaugh about a lady's maid reference." He inspects the card thoroughly and then frowns while he says, "Did you have an appointment?"

"No, I'm afraid not. I just live next door and thought I'd pop by before heading home," Eliza answers honestly, but this only causes the butler to purse his lips.

"I'm afraid Lady Cavanaugh is out."

Eliza nods, "Is there a time that would be more convenient to return?"

"You say you live next door Lady..." he squints at the card, "Winter? Why don't I have my mistress write you upon returning? She'd know her schedule better than I for visitors." With that, he tucks her card away and shuts the door. Eliza takes a step back so the door doesn't knock her in the face and then sighs. Two houses still have the potential to house Penelope's murderer. Now she just has to wait until they return home. Eliza's bedroom sits at the back of the house, facing the garden and neighboring street, so she won't be able to set up surveillance from the comfort of her room.

Eliza dashes back up the street until she reaches her own brick steps and realizes she can't see either house from hers, even if she sat in the front drawing-room. She'll just have to wait until Lady Cavanaugh writes and she'll try the other house early tomorrow morning.

She pushes her door open and Martin looks to her while keeping the mouthpiece of the telephone up to his face.

"Yes, she just returned home. I will let her know," Martin says before saying goodbye. He drops the receiver and then announces, "That was your mother. They are leaving the tavern they were holed up in while the fog held them hostage and are continuing to London. They are still planning on being here tomorrow before sunset." Eliza nods, but before she sets off upstairs Martin stops her by saying, "Lord Bradshaw stopped by while you were out. I have informed him that you are not to receive visitors until your parents have returned. I have told him this numerous times now."

Eliza spins to face him, "I will receive Lord Bradshaw if it's in regards to Penelope."

Martin shakes his head, "I don't think you should get caught up in a murder investigation while your parents aren't near."

"He doesn't suspect me as the murderer Martin."

"Yes, but you are still being questioned. That and I don't feel it's proper to allow you and an unwed male to sit together alone in an empty household. What could be said about that?" Martin says before clicking his tongue. Eliza rolls her eyes and replies, "We are hardly ever alone Martin. There is the staff, you, Lucy."

"It's only one more day my lady. I think he can wait a few more hours before speaking with you," Martin states before spinning on his heel and striding off down the hallway. Little did Martin know, in less than a few hours Colin wouldn't be waiting any longer to speak with Eliza. He would be sneaking in through her open window.