Scotland Yard

Jane didn't force Eliza to stay at the ball much longer. She made her greet everyone that mattered and then sent her on her way, without having to grace the dance floor once. Eliza's parents will get word that she was pleasant and pretty and that's all they want to hear. That is unless, they talk to the Tennysons, who probably are none too pleased that Eliza snapped at their nephew and accused him of lingering in the rumor mill. After Jane's note on bottling up all and any emotions, Eliza worries her outburst will sure be a topic of discussion at the Tennyson breakfast table this morning.

As Eliza replays Bradshaw's mishap at her own breakfast table, she slices into her ham with such force she fears she had scraped the china. She couldn't believe he almost called her Crazy Eliza right to her face. He'd be the first to do it, she'd give him that credit.

As Eliza pushes the knife away into a safe distance from her rage, Martin comes in brandishing a letter in the air. Eliza's eyes widen and if she hadn't done so many unladylike things in the past 24 hours, she would have jumped on top of the table and rushed over to Martin to rip the letter from his hands. Instead, she waits impatiently while he brings it to her.

"This came this morning from your parents," Martin tells her and Eliza's heart immediately sinks. In a second, all hope is drained away from her.

"Why didn't they just phone?" Eliza asks.

"You know your mother is still a bit afraid of the thing. I don't even think his lordship knows how to use it," Martin says with a grimace. Eliza knows the shrill of the telephone ringing startles Martin half to death, so he's none too fond of it either.

"Well thank you for this," Eliza says before ripping open the seal. She quickly scans the letter and sees both of her parents decided to stay up in the countryside, extending their week-long trip to a week and a half. That meant leaving for home was going to be pushed back at least a week. If it weren't for Penelope missing, Eliza would have written back that she'd meet them at their home in Scarborough.

Eliza looks up to see Martin lingering by the doorway and says, "They extended their stay. I'm supposed to remain busy with appearances until they arrive home."

"We are to remain in the London house a bit longer then?" Martin asks and Eliza nods. She knows she's going to make good use of this time and go hunt down Penelope. The sooner she finds her the better.

"Martin I am going out for a bit. I would appreciate it if you could get a cab ready for me?" Eliza asks as she drops her white cloth napkin onto the gold damask tablecloth.

"Of course, my Lady," Martin replies before spinning around on his heel and heading toward the front of the house.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Eliza was nervous as she was dropped off at the entrance to Scotland Yard. She knew it was risky to come and report Penelope, but she couldn't think of any other option. She thought this was a place to start.

As she pushes her way inside, she immediately sees the hustle and bustle of bobbies, crisscrossing all around the main floor of the building. She doesn't know who to ask for, but she decides to try to flag down one of the uniformed men in hopes of him being able to direct her. She sees an officer resting against a banister that surrounds the bottom of a staircase with his head tucked into a notepad. She crosses over to him and it only takes merely walking over to him to grab his attention.

"Miss? Can I do something for you?" He asks, curiously. She doesn't see any other frantic women in here trying to find men to solve crimes, so she wonders if it's peculiar to see her strutting about.

"Yes, I was wondering with whom I would speak to about a missing person?" Eliza cautiously asks. The officer goes to answer when a high-ranking officer comes up the steps beside them. She can tell he's high ranking by his sharp uniform and the gold medals hanging off his left breast. When he spots the officer with Eliza he snaps, "Carlson, you should have left by now." His dark eyes then move to Eliza and he squints as he says, "I know you." She glances to the large man, but she can't place him. He points a finger at her and adds, "You're Lord Scarborough's daughter." Eliza nods, still surprised that the officer knows of her and says, "Yes. I am Lady Eliza Winter."

The man nods, "I'm Deputy Commissioner Greensbury." At Greensbury Eliza finally figures out her connection to the man.

"Oh yes, I know your daughter Adelaide," Eliza admits and she immediately regrets coming to the police. She wanted everything to be done anonymously, but now she's attached to it. Whatever she says could get back to Adelaide and Bridgette and Penelope would be ruined.

"Why are you here? Something the matter?" He asks her and the first officer answers, "She came to report a missing person."

"Missing person?" Greensbury asks and he gives his full attention back to Eliza. "What makes you think someone is missing?" Eliza gulps down any fear since she knows she just can't run out of here now. Without saying a name, she answers, "I have a friend that's been neither seen nor heard from in almost a week. I'm beginning to worry."

Greensbury frowns and then asks, "A week huh? No one has come in and reported anyone missing lately have they?" He looks to the first officer and the officer shrugs. "Of course we get people coming in here looking for people, but no one of your status has come in looking. The streets would already be crawling with officers looking."

"You say a friend? Is she your age? Are her parents concerned?" Greensbury asks and Eliza knows she can't get the Vanderwahls involved like this. The Deputy Commissioner can't go track down Lady Vanderwahl and say, "Oh Crazy Eliza is saying Penelope has run off and told all of Scotland Yard about it."

"Her mother is concerned, but they think she may be on holiday," Eliza confesses.

"What makes you think she isn't?"

"She hasn't written or told anyone she's gone. That's not like her," Eliza says. She can tell she's losing Greensbury's attention when he gives her a shrug, "If she left the continent it may take more than a week to deliver a letter. And if her parents aren't worried enough to come down here and report her missing, then I'm going to say you should listen to your friend's mother. If she isn't worried enough, you shouldn't be either." Eliza tries to hide her annoyance, but Greensbury can tell she's getting flustered. He then calmly asks, "Alright, where was your friend last seen? Maybe you can start there."

"Me? Aren't the police supposed to go track that down? I don't know where she was last seen, I only know that she hasn't been seen by anyone in her family or staff since last week," Eliza answers, growing more agitated.

"Look, you're really giving us nothing to go on here. Your friend hasn't been seen for a week, but you don't know where the last place she was or who the last person that last saw her is. Her parents think she's on holiday, but you're determined she's not because she hasn't written you?" He says and Eliza is quick to respond, "I know it's not much to go on, but my friend would never go this long without writing. I'm worried." Greensbury sighs and pulls Eliza away from the other officer. Greensbury leans into her when they aren't within earshot and says, "Lady Eliza I know that you aren't...very social and that you probably don't have many close...friends but this sounds like a domestic issue. Maybe your friendship isn't as strong as you thought, or your friend is no longer writing you for a reason. Adelaide and Bridgette get into little tiffs all the time but they don't report it to the police."

Eliza looks to Greensbury in horror. The man thinks she'd come all the way to Scotland Yard because her one friend doesn't want to be her friend anymore. She sucks in a deep breath through her teeth and tries to calm herself, "Deputy Commissioner, I don't know what you think you know about me, but I can tell you this isn't some female squabble. My friend is missing and I need you to either do your job or go find me someone that won't jump to unrealistic conclusions and help me!" Eliza is shrill when she finishes and she doesn't think her outburst helped her cause. Her aunt was correct- she just can't go about shouting at men if she wants to get anything accomplished.

Greensbury darts his eyes over to the officer before he responds, "I know some place you can go to find help. Try 221b Baker Street." Eliza watches as Greensbury smirks and then walks back into the hustle. It isn't until she is seated inside a cab and the driver smiles at the address and jokes, "You want me to take you to Sherlock Holmes Miss?" that she realizes her trip to Scotland Yard was a mistake.