Status

Something about Colin's visit lit a fire inside Eliza's soul. She suddenly no longer wanted to waste away in bed, crying over her missing friend. Someone murdered Penelope and threw her into the river like she meant nothing. Like she didn't mean the world to someone, or would have hysterical worried parents, or had hopes of love and dreams of a wonderful future. That person would pay, Eliza would personally see to it.

She was hurt though that Penelope didn't trust her enough to confide in her. Maybe Eliza could have helped her? If only Eliza could rewind time and go back to that summer day in Hyde Park. She'd have asked more questions and not shrugged off Penelope's attitude. She'd have pressed more, not caring if it upset Penelope. She'd rather have an upset friend than a dead one.

Lucy helped Eliza into a simple violet frock, she knew mourning periods were going out of fashion, but Eliza didn't feel like she could sport a vibrant silk gown while feeling so hollow inside. Once her hair was pulled back into a simple low bun, Eliza asked Martin to fetch a cab for her. He informed her that her parents hit a bad patch of fog that cost them a day's travel time. They now wouldn't be arriving until sometime tomorrow. She shrugged in response, knowing even if they were here now, they couldn't do anything but comfort Eliza and right now, she wanted to be alone.

She pushes her way into the cab, this time leaving Lucy to her duties, and sets off toward Hyde Park. The grass is still as green and as lush as it was when she and Penelope came a few weeks earlier and Eliza plops down right where they were when they watched people sample pies at the pie contest. She inhales the fresh summer air while closing her eyes and running her hands over the long blades of grass. This was the last place she saw Penelope. Heard her laugh, watched her snicker as they gossiped. This is also where Penelope held a secret close to her. Did she know she was pregnant when she sat here happily with Eliza? Did it weigh on her mind as they swapped mundane stories about dinner parties and new frocks? What was Penelope going through as they bathed in the sunshine, smelling warm cherry pie and laughing at the possibility of love.

Colin enters Eliza's mind again, she's noticed he pops up a lot since their encounter in the library, but instead of feeling warmth and wonder she now feels sorrow while shoving his face away. With Penelope's death came a wall around Eliza's heart. How can she ever love anyone? Everyone she gets close to dies. Two people now fill her heart and she can't find room for anyone else. She can't mourn a loved one ever again. Colin is now the detective on Penelope's case and nothing more. Not that he wanted more, but it's best to set boundaries now before she gets any romantic ideas. She's been fine alone. She'll inherit the Winter fortune married or not. She could get a couple corgis and live out her days in their country home. Gardening, reading and soaking up sunshine. She'd never have to worry about losing anyone again. And with the pain Eliza currently feels, she was okay with that.

A couple young boys throwing a ball around knocks Eliza from her somber thoughts. She watches as the small wooden ball lands next to her and she quickly tosses it back. They run back toward their nanny and Eliza knows you can't be a spinster with children. Never allowing love back into her life will mean she'll never be a mother. The Winter legacy will end with her.

But then, she's reminded a child cost Penelope her life. Who would be threatened by a woman with child? Who would want to get rid of the evidence?

Eliza suddenly knows who would be the most harmed by the surprise of a child. A married man. Someone that's not supposed to be having children with Penelope- so either married or betrothed. She hinted that the man would not be approved of by her parents and Eliza thought of class, not marital status. What if Penelope was running around with a married man, someone with something- nay not something- a lot to lose. Enough that would cause him to commit murder.

Eliza knows that the day Penelope disappeared, she was dropped at her house and lied about her means of transportation. Why? The cabbie picked her up from her house and dropped her somewhere familiar. Maybe that meant Penelope was seeing someone that lived near Eliza? She could say she was meeting Eliza and then turn and head off somewhere else. Somewhere within walking distance. Although, that still didn't account for the lie about the motorcar.

Eliza pushes herself off the grass and heads toward the dusty road near the park. She's about to hail a cab when she realizes she'd rather walk off her anxious energy. She'd rather think while walking, than getting agitated in London traffic.

She dodges the prams strolling the sidewalks and the Londoners rushing off to work, to file into the sea of women strolling the streets of London on this pleasant August morning. She continues past Buckingham Palace, pushing through the throngs of people at the tall iron fence that keeps the lookie-loos at a safe distance from the palace.

She's crossing into St. James Park when she spots Adelaide and Bridgette taking a stroll under matching lace parasols. She's about to turn to hide in the palace crowd when Bridgette spots her. She locks eyes with Eliza and raises a hand to push her dainty hat out of her eyes.

"Lady Eliza!" Bridgette calls out and Eliza watches as they stride over to her, arm in arm, with their long colorful dresses brushing the sidewalk as they stroll over.

"Ms. Walscott, Ms. Greensbury," Eliza mutters knowing they only called out to her out of sheer nosiness.

"We heard about Lady Penelope," Adelaide says, mustering up a phony frown. "We are so sorry for your loss."

"I'm sure," Eliza mumbles while Bridgette and Adelaide exchange glances.

"My father is personally working on finding Penelope's killer," Adelaide says with a gloved hand over her heart. "He's working with Lord Colin Bradshaw, the detective brought in from Sussex."

Eliza nods, "I know Bradshaw. We've met on several occasions." She knows Adelaide knows this, they were all at the same dinner party and ball. Eliza knows Adelaide just wanted to mention Colin and his title.

"Oh yes, well he's been working out of our home with my father," she says pointedly. "He's been over the last couple nights working hard. I am sure justice will come soon enough. I'm sure having the best detective in Sussex and the Deputy Commissioner working on a case, the murderer won't be free for long." She balls her fingers into a fist and gives it a little victory pump. Eliza knows Adelaide should be a politician's wife.

"And with Lord Bradshaw over so often, it's only natural that he and Adelaide are bonding," Bridgette adds with a soft smile, causing rage to radiate through Eliza. She squeezes her hands together and with a matching smile replies, "I'm so glad Penelope's death is bringing you two so close together. Maybe Bridgette here should be murdered to really secure your proposal? Really bond the two of you together." Bridgette and Adelaide stare at Eliza in shock, Bridgette's pink lips part as her jaw drops.

"Please send me an invite to the wedding," Eliza adds, before pushing her way through the two women. Eliza can feel their eyes on the back of her head, but she continues toward St. James Park. If Adelaide wants Colin, she can have him. Eliza isn't looking for love anyway.