Empty Box

Eliza had never loitered outside a gentleman's club before, so she isn't sure of the proper protocol. Could she pop inside White's and ask if Lord Bradshaw was still in? Was it all very hush-hush and the members coming and goings stayed private? She only knew that women were not allowed.

She paced in front of the grand Portland stone building, with its French motifs making the club feel particularly posh and unwelcoming. She lingered near the iron gate and every time the wide black door opened, she'd try and peek inside. She hoped she hadn't missed him; she was unsure how long to wait around.

When one man finally dropped down the short staircase, Eliza plucks up the courage to ask, "Excuse me sir." The older man turns to her while capping his head with a homburg hat and as he raises a bushy eyebrow she continues, "Do you know if a Detective Inspector Bradshaw is currently in residence?" She thought she'd try the detective route, playing a worried little lady as opposed to a stalking lover. He glances over his shoulder and was about to brush her off when Eliza adds, "It's of life-or-death importance sir. I have information he needs and have no way of getting it to him."

He sighs, "Was just finishing a cuppa. Should be out shortly miss." He then turns away from her before she could ambush him with anything else. She wants to give herself a pat on the back but manages a wide smile instead. She continues to pace and dash over to the door every time another member comes out. She must have waited another fifteen minutes when the secretive black door opens and Colin wanders out. She watches as he too places a hat onto his neat dark hair as he saunters down the wide steps.

"Lord Bradshaw!" Eliza says eagerly, startling the poor man. He puts his hand to his chest in surprise and gasps, "Lady Eliza! What on earth brings you here?"

"Do you have a moment?" Eliza asks while giving him a pleading stare.

"Of course, walk with me," he replies as he nods over to the pavement. She strides over to him and as they walk in step, Eliza finally says, "We need to go to Kent."

"Kent? Why?" He asks with a glance over to her.

"I can't explain it, you'll think I'm mad but I believe something is there in connection to Penelope. I want to go explore the poppy fields near her aunt's estate. I believe that's where rendezvous had been taking place and maybe Kent is the home to our murderer," Eliza says quickly, almost speaking so rapidly, she fears she'll become tongue tied.

Colin stops on the pavement and pulls Eliza out of the other pedestrian's way. They stand beside a pastry shop and Colin says, "I went to the club last night to find some things out." Eliza hears the jingle of the pastry door opening and his eyes flit to the movement behind her, "Have you already had breakfast? Can I buy you a cup of tea or a scone perhaps?" He looks around him and she can tell it's a ploy to get them off the street. He pulls at her elbow and they enter into the pastry shop. Colin nabs them a small round table in the corner and orders two cups of tea and an almond croissant. Eliza pulls her gloves off and makes herself comfortable. Colin leans into her and finally continues their discussion, "I asked around the club and Penelope was definitely seen hanging around the front, waiting for someone the day she disappeared. I can't tell you everything, but I have my suspicions Lady Eliza. I think our gentleman is a Londoner."

Eliza shrugs, "Many Londoners, wealthy Londoners, have homes elsewhere. They could have met in Kent and continued their relationship here in London."

"There are a lot of could haves and maybes in this case it seems. Things don't add up and other things come to light that don't play into anything else," Colin says with a shake of his head. The cups are dropped between them and Eliza wastes no time digging into the buttery pastry.

"You never told me what aspect of this case you were looking into last night. I fear the wine got me...rather off track," Eliza admits with a blush.

"Your boldness got us on track with the gentleman's clubs," Colin reminds her but it only makes her feel warmer.

"But what were you looking for at the opera? You are very coy, I'll give you that Bradshaw. I had completely forgotten that you were on an assignment there." He sighs and then leans back into his rickety wooden chair. He folds his arms and then says, "I think Penelope was someone's formal mistress."

Eliza's eyes widen, "A formal mistress?" She repeats, like they are dirty words, simply appalled that he'd even suggest it.

"We always thought she was sneaking around with someone she wasn't supposed to be, but now I think she was someone's established mistress."

"Why would she ever agree to that? She was young and had options. Why tether herself to a married man?"

He shrugs, "Anya admitted that Penelope had a gown drawn up for the opera. It was delivered the day before the funeral and it jogged her memory. When pressed for details, Penelope had told Anya that she wasn't going for the performance, but for an opportunity for some alone time."

"But what does you going to the opera achieve?" Eliza asks.

"Penelope had written down a date and box number, on a random page in her diary. It took me a moment to figure out what it was, but when I had received my own tickets to the opera, I realized the connection. Last night at the opera I had a clear view of that box number," Colin admits. Eliza stops picking at the remaining almonds and gasps, "Whose box was it?"

"I don't know. The box remained empty all evening," Colin admits and her shoulders slump.

"Blimey, so Penelope was someone's mistress," Eliza says again, unable to grasp the decision behind it.

"It appears so but it's all speculation at this point," Colin adds. He picks up his tea and as he sips Eliza says, "I still want to go to Kent. She went up there enough to raise suspicion and if she was someone's mistress, we can see who has a home in Kent that's also in London and if any of those households have members at White's."

"You know I can't check out who members are," Colin states plainly, but Eliza simply says, "If a name or face looks familiar to you in Kent, you can check up on them." Colin looks to Eliza over his teacup and then says, "When do you want to journey to Kent? And what will you say to your parents? I assume they will not allow you to travel unaccompanied." Eliza puts a finger to her lips as she thinks it over. She hadn't thought of that and there's no way her parents will let her disappear for a day unchaperoned.

"I want to go as soon as physically possible. I can arrange for Lucy to accompany me, that should suffice," Eliza says.

"Alright, I'll see what I can arrange," Colin replies. "I have a dinner I have to attend tonight in Westminster, but I'll see if I can shuffle things around to make it up there tomorrow."

"I'll speak with my parents tonight and arrange things with Lucy. Can you phone me and let me know if you're able to make this work?" Eliza asks and Colin gives her a nod.

As they push their way out of the pastry shop, Colin gives Eliza's gloved hand a squeeze and then gives her a flirtatious look. The spark that was there while they were under the influence was clearly still there sober. She laughs and then says, "I'm not sloshed enough to give you a kiss right here on the pavement again. Not in broad daylight."

"Damn, should have slipped some whiskey into your tea then," Colin says with a wink and then drops Eliza's hand. "I'll phone when I know anything."

"I'll be waiting," Eliza says before turning and heading for home.